WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Why You Shouldn`t Twitter

Comments

• Options
    DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    My aplogies to you Mr. Jackson if you took offense to me or my use of social media. I never meant it to hit home to you in such a negative way. Lets talk positive and respect eachother.  
     -Enjoy your week Mr. Jackson and I hope that we can all get along just fine.     Erin, thank you for that ultra-classy apology! My sincerest  apologies to you as well. I agree with you. This whole sorted episode was both silly and childish. It should never have gone as far as it did. We should all be ashamed and embarrassed for acting like children. I know I am.  I need to correct you on something, however. I don`t have a problem with all social media. I use social media, and think some of it is good.  Also, believe it or not, I would like nothing better than for us all to get along. That would suit me just fine. It sure beats the heck out of bickering. And one last thing... Congratulations on closing your big deal!  David Jackson  DavidJackson4/8/2009 6:16 PM
  • Options
    I don`t think it has anything to do withTwitter per se. Sometimes, heated debates occur on forums around all kinds of issues. This topic just happens to be the latest heated debate. Although, I`ll admit, this one did get out of hand.

That being said, there will be many more heated debates about a variety of topics. Of that I`m sure.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson4/8/2009 8:51 PM
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103

Wow.  A "marketing" person that actually advises AGAINST one of the fastest growing and popular and free forms of marketing available.  OK.  Entitled to your opinion?  Of course.  Going to be judged based on it?  Yes.

• Options
    stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    Great comments! I agree. I think Social media has helped brng down the curtain on companies and helps consumers and b2b to be on equal footing in some ways. With twitter I really think it makes people comfortable to know that we ALL put our pants on in the same way, we are all people with lives full of reg day to day stuff in the middle of our professional lives. It can be interesting to view and listen about everyones day to day. It helps myself and hopefully otehrs to reconize that we are all the same and striving to reach goals both professionally and personally. I find it fun to share things I may find interesting, engaing quickly with others and even sharing that I just made snowcones with my daughter. It is about humanizing business and in my career this has only helped me to move ahead towards success. When we take our masks off and really build a genuine relationship with others is when we reach a pivoting point that hopefully if we are the least bit interesting and sincere will only attract people to you.

I have always been very open and although I am quite private I enjoy sharing and this allows me to do it keeping my own boundries and personal space. I for one know that I don`t know it all...I know very little and have learned so much from SUN and also on Twitter. I do know this, when I needed a favor Rich the founder of SUN did not think twice about helping me. I also know that a group of others here that I respect and enjoy sharing with. SUN is a great resource and full of facinating people. I feel the same way about Twitter but here I have made closer ties with a few and am appreciative of that.

Erin- and i don`t even need to spell check b/c everyone here is okay with my poor typing skills and I am also!
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    Wimmin wearing pants?  That`ll be the destruction of society as we know it.
  • Options
    stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
  • Options
    ccharronccharron subscriber Posts: 0
    I think it`s ignorant not to twitter. I don`t twitter everytime I head to the bathroom, it`s a tool, not a way to kill time. When you are young and still growing and have big name competitors, you need help, and social media avenues, like Twitter, ar a great place to get it. I recommend getting your own account first, then later, once you know what you`re doing, twitter for the company.

Carol
  • Options
    cortecorte subscriber Posts: 0
    I agree that social media marketing can suck up a lot of time and the benefits can be a bit scattered.
    What really opened my eyes to the value of social media is looking at my own site statistics whenever someone bookmarked my site on a social network.
    I found that traffic coming in from social media sites had virtually a 100% bounce rate and most people stayed less than 10 seconds.
    Is that the kind of traffic I really want to cultivate?
    I`d rather spend my time writing new content and establishing high-quality links.
  • Options
    I`d rather spend my time writing new content and establishing high-quality links.

I can definitely relate to that. I`m all about writing new content, and establishing quality inbound links.

David Jackson
  • Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    I found that traffic coming in from social media sites had virtually a 100% bounce rate and most people stayed less than 10 seconds.
    Is that the kind of traffic I really want to cultivate?

As you  know, your bounce rate may be because of other factors... not only because the visitor came form a social networking site.

Obviously, "marketing" via social networking site is different than other types of marketing, but it is similar to blogging... with the added component of "creating a relationship" - albeit virtually.

Why might a person goes to your site from a social networking site?

You have created an on line dialog and "trusting relationship"?

Your social posts are interesting?

They think your site provide what they seek?

They want to learn more about you/you company?

They have nothing better to do?

It is typical for visits from Digg to have a high bounce rate. But Digg is different than Twitter and some other social networking sites.

So how to reduce the bounce rate from Twitter visits? Similar to a blog,  provide information of interest which is relevant to your target audience.

Important to note - with Twitter, you actually have some control of your target audience. You determine who you follow and who follows you (thus, who sees your Tweets).

~Roland

vwebworld4/18/2009 8:38 AM
  • Options
    cortecorte subscriber Posts: 0
    Great points Roland.
    I certainly don`t mean to imply that social media traffic is useless. Obviously, that is incorrect.
    It`s just that when it comes to social media marketing, I prefer to follow the Pareto Principle. If I can just spend 20% of my efforts towards social media marketing and garner 80% of the benefit, then that`s the best use of my time.
    For me, making sure that I have the proper social media buttons on my site and seeding the most relevant social media sites with my best content takes little time, but generates solid results.
    Ultimately, the goal is to generate enough great web content that your visitors to do all your social media marketing for you. Of course, that is easier said than done in many cases!
  • Options
    Corte, I understand.

The trick is how to find those 20% of people that contribute 80% of the sales.

~Roland
    vwebworld4/18/2009 11:31 AM
  • Options
    The trick is how to find those 20% of people that contribute 80% of the sales.

That`s why it`s important to not only carefully analyze your raw data logs, but also to understand exactly what it is that you`re analyzing. Often, stats aren`t what they appear to be on the surface. But you don`t find that out until you dig deeper - below the surface.

That`s why I use three different types of software to track my data. OneStat, AWSTAT, which comes with CPANEL and SiteMeter.  This allows me to keep things in perspective, and prevents me from over-reacting one way or the other.

David Jackson

DavidJackson4/18/2009 12:37 PM
  • Options
    Don`t forget google analytics
  • Options
    Don`t forget google analytics

I really don`t care for Google Analytics, because its stats aren`t "real time." There`s a two hour lag or something. While that may not be a big deal for most people, it`s a big deal for me.

I`ve also heard there may be privacy issues with Analytics. It seems Google may be spying on marketers through their Analytics account. I have no idea, whether that`s true or not, but that`s what I heard.

David Jackson

DavidJackson4/18/2009 4:02 PM