WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Why You Shouldn`t Twitter

DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
edited April 2009 in Marketing
As some of you know, I`m no fan of Twitter. Apparently, I`m not alone in that regard. Here`s an interesting article  about why you shouldn`t Twitter.

David Jackson

Comments

• M3ArmM3Arm subscriber Posts: 0
    My task today was to starting learing about Twitter. Interesting article....

• DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    Thanks for the link, David
    I couldn`t agree more with this article especially #1. If I had a $1 for every time someone has asked me if I tweet I would be a millionaire. It takes a lot more than 140 words to describe my business. By not tweeting I can devote my time to better things.

No problem, Kathy. I also agree with the author - although it`s hardly a secret around here how I feel about Twitter, right?

David Jackson
  • ChrisBenjaminChrisBenjamin subscriber Posts: 13
    All valid points.  I still think for startups and web 2.0/3.0 where there`s much more a focus on being in touch with clients and having an open dialogue it`s not so bad.  Sure you don`t have to tweet what you are eating for lunch, but I`ll often throw up articles and podcasts and other blogs that I found useful.  People who follow me are interested in absorbing as much information about the world of startups and venture capital as possible.  It`s paid off well for me, may people have found me through Twitter and become clients. 
      It`s paid off well for me, may people have found me through Twitter and become clients. 

Chris, if it`s working for you then obviously you should continue to use it.  The reason I posted the article is because there are a million articles out there telling people why they should Twitter.

It`s actually refreshing to come across an article every once in a while that plays "devil`s advocate" and tells people why they shouldn`t Twitter. It helps balance things out a little. 

David Jackson
  • stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    I like twitter, It is a nice hiatus for five minutes while I am working and I can say hello, share a quick link and read and listen quickly to what others are talking about. It is fun for me but also has connected me to some really neat people who are close by and also across the map. I have learned so much in a short period of time from others. Sun and twitter are two completley different places and I value both for there unique values. I also enjoy twitter b/c when sitting in a waiting room for a client or getting my hair done or on a night out and taking five I can visit via my blackberry to say hello or read what others are saying. You can like it or not, use it or not whatever slice of pie you want to take from it...that is to each their own. Sun is great, one reason I have not been here as much is time, it takes more time to get involved in discussiions, not that I am not interested just crunched for time right now. I also had been spammed a lot in my box and there were starting to be a lot of spam posts on the board and going through them took a lot of extra time. I will make a better effort to come here and I have missed it and I value it here. I know that janie does as well and has contributed so much to the community here.
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40

My thoughts on the author`s reasons not to Twitter:
    1 - Because your in business - This doesn`t make any sense. "Because it a little too friendly". Why can`t a business participate in a friendly forum?  Is SUN "UNfriendly"?

Why wouldn`t you? Many companies use Twitter for customer service or feedback others simply for branding or spreading the word. Twitter is similar to "word of mouth" marketing... which arguably is a very effective form of marketing.

2 - Too much information -. The author admits he thought the "whole blogging thing was a passing fad"... so, I`d be leery about taking his advice about Twitter ( a micro-BLOG). Yes, there are people who post about getting their first cup of coffee, but do you need to read it? No. In fact you might not even see such posts if you are not following that person.

3 - Too much time - Yes, Twitter can be habit forming But just like any tool or marketing mechanism you use - you should have a plan and purpose for using it. "Takes time to learn" - come on, everything takes time to learn. If that`s a reason not to use something - we all would still be walking instead of driving cars. Of course 140 characters is the "beauty" of Twitter... less words = less time and what makes Twitter, well Twitter.

4 - What can you say on 140 characters - The author says, "..that pretty much means any post will be personal." 

Again, the author certainly has not used Twitter because many posts are not personal at all. Of course this will vary depending upon who you follow on Twitter... there are many "personal" Tweeps (Twitter people) but also many people using Twitter to promote their business, brand, market and connect with their customers.

Twitter is relatively new and so, people are figuring out how to use it to their benefit. Different applications/uses are being tried each week. Is Twitter for you? Maybe and maybe not. Do you want to brand your business and reach potential customers?

There have been posts on SUN that advise people to have an "about us" page on their web site. To tell their personal story or to make a personal connection with the web site viewer. Why isn`t Twitter (if personal at all) doing the same thing?

Twitter is a tool. To use or not, is your choice. It should not be the only tool you use, but just because it is new or different doesn`t mean it can not be a benefit to you.

vwebworld4/7/2009 11:43 AM
    Wow...I wanted to spark a debate, and I did.

However, I didn`t expect certain members to take the article so personally. Members who I never hear from are coming out the woodwork to defend Twitter.

Lighten up, guys! The article`s author just voiced his opinion about Twitter. He`s allowed to do that in America.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson4/7/2009 11:43 AM
  • nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    I`m on Twitter and I disagree with the article.  If you lack discipline, then anything becomes a distraction.  I have set times I twitter, do SUN, write, work on training material, etc.  Twitter does not interfere with any of the other activities. 
    I also use Twitter to find people with similar business ventures and follow what they are doing.  I do the same thing on SUN.
    Opps, fixed it in my sig file, had one too many Http://`s. ; Should work now, if not:
    http://www.twitter.com/roguecfo
    All good, just offering my opinion.  End of the day I could care less if people want to Twitter or not.  I`m all for people should do what they want.  I personally hate Facebook and MySpace!
    LOL! I was catching up on this, and got to thinking. I could write the same article, "Why You Shouldn`t Use a Cell Phone!" 
    From MY perspective, people running around in the supermarket blathering about nothing on their phone is ridiculous.

Craig, that`s not even a fair comparison. Cells phones are a universally accepted way of transacting business, and have been for decades. Conversely, despite Twitter being the flavor of the month, the jury is still out on its usefulness as an effective business tool.

Some people think it is, and others think it`s a complete waste of time. It`s a very polarizing topic. You don`t have that back and forth debate about cell phones, because it`s a proven medium.

David Jackson

DavidJackson4/8/2009 3:13 PM
    Bottom line: Who Cares? If you do, use it, If not just plain Don`t. I do but no one else has to. I enjoy it, you don`t have to. I like what I like and what works for me is good in my book. Your book can be filled with whatever you please.
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    LOL! I was catching up on this, and got to thinking. I could write the same article, "Why You Shouldn`t Use a Cell Phone!" 
    From MY perspective, people running around in the supermarket blathering about nothing on their phone is ridiculous. But if that`s all I ever encountered, would that be a legitimate comprehension of cell phones?
    The original article-author I think was doing the same sort of thing. Or just being controversial...who knows. Any communication medium is what you make of it.

Yup, ban cell phones ! They are too personal... so they can`t be business related. (using the author`s logic).

Cell phones proved? What about Texting? ... and I can not believe people need to be on their phone...or with a bluetooth sticking out of their ear 24/7. 

I guess "business" was never conducted before cell phones.
    vwebworld4/8/2009 9:39 AM
    Hello,

I am actually taking a break for 2 minutes from a meeting because my blackberrry is full of replies to this post.

I wanted to state that I am not agitated at alll, maybe it is my way of speaking I was just saying to each their own and it shouldn`t matter. What I don`t like is when people argue for argue`s sake. Really... why must we argue Mr. Jackson? We are not 5 and their is no need to pick fights. I respect your opinion on the matter as I said in my last non agitated post.

This post however is of an agitated nature...to have so many ridiciculous stabs at people, and to have it blink my device so many times during a meeting. The funny thing is that I just closed a deal that will gross my technology company 1.4 million over the next 2 years and it is someone I connnected with on Twitter. Is that not irony.

So I will write my own book and enjoy reading it and you can enjoy reading yours. As for attacking, I never would do that and I am an active participant including sending people here to Sun every week to join and posting links to Sun at Twitter.

My aplogies to you Mr. Jackson if you took offense to me or my use of social media. I never meant it to hit home to you in such a negative way. Lets talk positive and respect eachother. These folks here have grown to be my friends and I will stick my neck out anytime for them. I would think it a great idea to speak from facts and when stating an opinion understand that we all carry a different cloth and we may differ from time to time. I persoanly find that is when I learn the most and what I have learned from here today if to one: be thankful for friends. two: do what works for me and three: turn off alerts from SUN while in a meeting.

-Enjoy your week Mr. Jackson and I hope that we can all get along just fine.

Erin Hurry