WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Anticipatory Marketing: Smart Business

DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
edited February 2009 in Marketing
Definition: anticipatory

anticipating; of or expressing anticipation.

To deal with beforehand; act so as to mitigate, nullify, or prevent: the business owner anticipated the importance of inbound links by writing lots of quality content.

If you aren`t practicing anticipatory marketing, you`re working with a head-in-the-sand mentality that sharp competition will definitely exploit.
Thinking about and preparing for your next move in advance is smart business.
For example, advertising is a very important aspect of business. After all, people can`t buy your products if they don`t know about them.
But what if you have little to no money to buy advertising?
What do you do then?
What`s your next move?
If you`re like most marketers, you don`t have a clue.
Unfortunately, this scenario plays out all too often in the business world, and it can be fatal. In fact, it often is.
Successful marketers not only have a plan "A," they also have a plan B, C and D. That`s what makes them successful. They have a plan for every scenario.
They think about and anticipate potential problems before they occur. That`s the essence of anticipatory marketing.
Let me give you an example of what I`m talking about using a true story:
In 2006, a client of mine started a virtual assistant (VA) business. Like most small business owners she had very little money to do any advertising, so she asked me what to do.
I told her to contact the local newspapers and tv stations, tell them about her new business and request an interview.
I also told her to join her local Chamber of Commerce, and start networking. I told her that if those two ideas didn`t pan out I had a few more ideas she could try.
In other words, I gave her a plan and was ready with a back up plan.
Anyway, to make a long story short my client was indeed interviewed by one of the local newspapers, which immediately resulted in a flood of new clients.
And she also gets a steady stream of business from her local Chamber of Commerce.
Eventually, because of the quality of her work, word of mouth advertising took over and she hasn`t had to spend a dime on conventional advertising.
In fact, she`s doing so well she`s having a hard time keeping up with all the work she`s getting and is considering hiring someone to handle the overflow.
That`s the power of anticipating problems beforehand, and formulating a plan to solve those problems.
Anticipatory Marketing: Smart Business!

David Jackson
DavidJackson2/27/2009 10:12 AM