Anticipatory Marketing: Smart Business

DavidJacksonDavidJackson Posts: 143subscriber Silver Level Member
edited February 2009 in Marketing
Definition: anticipatory

anticipating; of or expressing anticipation.

To deal with beforehand; act so as to mitigate, nullify, or prevent: the business owner anticipated the importance of inbound links by writing lots of quality content.

If you aren`t practicing anticipatory marketing, you`re working with a head-in-the-sand mentality that sharp competition will definitely exploit.
Thinking about and preparing for your next move in advance is smart business.
For example, advertising is a very important aspect of business. After all, people can`t buy your products if they don`t know about them.
But what if you have little to no money to buy advertising?
What do you do then?
What`s your next move?
If you`re like most marketers, you don`t have a clue.
Unfortunately, this scenario plays out all too often in the business world, and it can be fatal. In fact, it often is.
Successful marketers not only have a plan "A," they also have a plan B, C and D. That`s what makes them successful. They have a plan for every scenario.
They think about and anticipate potential problems before they occur. That`s the essence of anticipatory marketing.
Let me give you an example of what I`m talking about using a true story:
In 2006, a client of mine started a virtual assistant (VA) business. Like most small business owners she had very little money to do any advertising, so she asked me what to do.
I told her to contact the local newspapers and tv stations, tell them about her new business and request an interview.
I also told her to join her local Chamber of Commerce, and start networking. I told her that if those two ideas didn`t pan out I had a few more ideas she could try.
In other words, I gave her a plan and was ready with a back up plan.
Anyway, to make a long story short my client was indeed interviewed by one of the local newspapers, which immediately resulted in a flood of new clients.
And she also gets a steady stream of business from her local Chamber of Commerce.
Eventually, because of the quality of her work, word of mouth advertising took over and she hasn`t had to spend a dime on conventional advertising.
In fact, she`s doing so well she`s having a hard time keeping up with all the work she`s getting and is considering hiring someone to handle the overflow.
That`s the power of anticipating problems beforehand, and formulating a plan to solve those problems.
Anticipatory Marketing: Smart Business!

David Jackson
DavidJackson2/27/2009 10:12 AM