WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Why I Don`t Twitter

DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
edited January 2009 in Marketing
One of the hottest new trends these days is something called Twitter.

What is Twitter?

Twitter is a free social networking and micro-blogging service that allows users to send updates to the Twitter website.

Hey...that sounds pretty neat!

So why don`t I Twitter?

Because I don`t see the point.
Readers who are interested in getting marketing updates from me simply subscribe to my blog.
Everytime I update my blog, my readers are alerted automatically - instantly! In addition, even though I personally don`t Twitter, I recognize and respect the fact that some of my readers do. So, I give them the option of receiving their blog updates via Twitter when they subscribe.

Anyway, that`s why I don`t Twitter.

Look, I`m not knocking Twitter.
But as far as me using it, I just don`t see the point.

David Jackson
DavidJackson2/2/2009 1:30 PM

Comments

• Options
    You see, it`s not about advertising your own blog on Twitter. Rather, it is about establishing a network of people who can point others to your blog on your behalf. Think of it like a huge marketing task force, all working for you.
    And, it`s all FREE!

I understand what you`re saying, and I still disagree.

My readers are my network of people who can point others to my blog on my behalf. And I generate new readers in ways that are far more palatable to me than Twitter.

Look, if you`re happy with Twitter, more power to you.

But it`s not for me.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson1/2/2009 9:29 AM
  • Options
    stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    What I like about Twitter is not the follwing but the information I receive from listening to others. That is what I get out of it! I heard something neat yesterday that sparked a blog idea for today. I also bought 2 new books I have enjoyed by another`s suggestion. I of course make my own comments etc and hope that other`s enjoy that.
  • Options
    Inspiration is really my main reason for being on Twitter. Also interaction with others of my own ilk.  I learn something new every day! Keeps me on top of my game, I interact with brilliant minds and have even made friends in other states that I am going to visit soon. Now that`s cool!

Absolutely! I enjoy all of those things as well.

Especially interacting with brilliant people.

The only difference is I get what I need from places other than Twitter.

David Jackson
  • Options
    dduttonddutton subscriber Posts: 1
    This is so interesting - I am on Facebook, Xing,LinkedIn, Plaxo and who knows where else - I can`t keep up but I am now inspired to figure out Twitter - I`ll let you know how I do!

Most importantly, I I think Start Up Nation is all about this, all the blogging, and networking - somewhere along the line it should turn into revenue, speaking revenue, writing revenue, product sale revenue, consulting revenue - or am I missing the point?

Appreciate all the advice possible -

Diane

www.execsolutions.com

www.businesswomenspeak.com

• Options
    I I think Start Up Nation is all about this, all the blogging, and networking - somewhere along the line it should turn into revenue, speaking revenue, writing revenue, product sale revenue, consulting revenue - or am I missing the point?
       Absolutely! But it doesn`t always happen overnight. It takes time. Just keep participating and sharing your knowledge, and good things will happen for you. David Jackson
  • Options
    Here`s a little marketing tip for you: If you`re not using Google Alerts yet, do it now. Set up searches for your name, your business name, your competitor`s name, and your product/service. This will keep you on top of your game and one step ahead of your competition!

Now that`s something we can agree on.

David Jackson
  • Options
    For the record, when my readers subscribe to receive my blog updates, I do give them the option of receiving their updates via Twitter. But so far, hardly anyone has selected that option.

David Jackson
  • Options
    cubemonkeycubemonkey subscriber Posts: 11
    I keep the twitter account non business, frankly I don`t think anyone cares about what changes I`ve done with my site. I choose to inform my followers that I watched all 6 Rockys in 24 hours. Keep it human. There`s a reason its called a "social" network.
  • Options
     I watched all 6 Rockys in 24 hours.

Dude, I wouldn`t admit that. The first three Rocky`s were okay, but the last three were pretty bad in my opinion.

David Jackson
  • Options
  • Options
    I am addicted... SOMEONE STOP....ME!!!
  • Options
    Twitter is not for everyone. 

My point exactly.

David Jackson
  • Options
    SlowCookerMateSlowCookerMate subscriber Posts: 1
    Think about the old adage "It is not what you know but who you know". 

I am just starting to get involved in Twitter so I was just watching a party last night #journchat.  This is a bunch of PR people and journalists chatting.  The wealth of PR information was incredible during the chat.  What else did I gain from the chat?  Insight into what journalists want when pitching a story to them.

In addition, journalists are not normally in my circle of contacts.  Making a connection with a journalist could be huge for my business (and I think for most). 
    Isn`t networking a major part of marketing and if you are not networking, are you marketing your business effectively?  Twitter is just networking on a larger scale.
  • Options
    Isn`t networking a major part of marketing and if you are not networking, are you marketing your business effectively?  Twitter is just networking on a larger scale.

I was networking effectively long before Twitter came along, and I`ll still be networking effectively when the next "flavor of the month" comes along.

There are a million ways to network if you`re creative, and I consider myself to be very creative.

We all do things that we`re comfortable with, and that work for us.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson1/7/2009 6:51 PM