DBA`s

moremoneymoremoney Posts: 4subscriber
edited February 2008 in Business Planning
I have a DBA with a state tax id & business license under the same name. I also have a website where I`m selling products. The DBA and the website are not the same name. I don`t  want  the names to be the same because the website name says what I`m selling. I also plan to  build another site before  August selling something else with another name.  Is  a DBA the right thing for me?  I`m just a Sole Prop setup with only one employee-Just ME. This isn`t my only job either; I also work a Full time (50-60 hrs a wk).

Comments

• moremoneymoremoney Posts: 4subscriber
    Thanks for the input. Originally my plan was to make my current DBA the parent company & then operate multiple micro businesses or websites under the parent company. I guess I`ve wasted money and time by creating a DBA that should`ve been something else.  
    I consulted with two different accountants. One said I should form a "S-Corp" and the other said I should just do it as a Sole Prop.  I also asked an attorney and he suggested a LLC, but he said I should talk to an accountant and that was when I talked to the two different accountants. So now I have a DBA which should`ve been something else. I looked at my state goverment website and I saw that a LLC has a $200 yearly fee and a S-Corp has a $20 fee; but either way, I need what`s best for me in the long run. Boy! Am I confused now...
    moremoney1/22/2008 12:40 AM
  • minimegeologyminimegeology Posts: 26subscriber
    Moremoney, 

Did you get it figured out?  I have an S-corp that has me and my husband as officers.  My husband has a separate LLC for another business which he is the only officer.  Check out the logistics and protections offered by them all and decide what will work best for your situation.
    Yep, I did a LLC mainly for legal issues. Because of what I`m selling. I finally got all of my paperwork straightened out last week.  I should be good to go now.  Thanks everyone.