WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Party Supply and Planning... Anyone have any tips?

danaemichelledanaemichelle subscriber Posts: 1
edited July 2007 in Selecting a Business
I just found this site and have found so much useful information on it, it`s great.  I am still just looking for a little insight from someone that may have some experience in the retail party supply and party planning businesses.  I originally thought of the idea in college in a career development class and by graduation had a business plan that was almost complete.  My main problem has been in the sales projections which being 24 and not having a ton of money sitting around is something that I need to get this thing rolling.  I would greatly appreciate any advice.  I have figured out my monthly cash flow needs and am just looking for something on the recievables side. 

Comments

• danaemichelledanaemichelle subscriber Posts: 1
    I am planning on rolling them into one business.  At this point I would think that the supply end would take precedent becuase I am fairly new to the planning side of it all.  I have experience in planning but on a smaller scale than I would like to eventually be doing (at this point I have helped with smaller private parties, the biggest event I did was a benefit dinner and auction).  Down the road I would hope that I could let the party supply end work for itself and I would focus more on the event planning.  I hope that explains it a little better!
  • danaemichelledanaemichelle subscriber Posts: 1
    I live in a fairly small town that has a university.  At this time the only `big box` that we have is Fred Meyer.  They do carry a very limited inventory of party supplies.  For the most part you can only get the solid color plates/napkins/cups/etc.  We do also have a Dollar Tree that carries pretty much the same things.  My strategy is just to carry the items that they don`t have like the more specific themed items.  I am not even interested in keeping the inventory like you might find at a larger retail party supple store like Party Palace where they have every shade of every color in every item.