WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Restaurant Investment Inquiry

dbarton02dbarton02 subscriber Posts: 1
edited July 2008 in Elevator Pitches
I am new to Startup Nation and thought I would put a few feelers out there for some ideas that I have had for quite some time.

In a general sense, I love being in the kitchen - coming up with new recipes, ideas, concepts, etc.

A close friend of mine and myself, for some time, have always talked about either opening an independent restaurant, or a franchised restaurant in the SW Burbs of Chicago somewhere. 
Obviously, the big thing that has prevented us from moving forward (except for menu concepts) is the area involving the green!  We`re both in our mid to late 20`s, have steady full-time jobs, and were thinking of the possibilities of outside sources funding the operation, with the two of us, plus a close friend who has years of restaurant management experience running the operation. 

Has there ever been a scenario close to this... where the `owners` work the business, taking a small percent while the investor takes the majority of returns - that being the form of repayment - `till the initial debt is paid off?

I welcome your thoughts - and then if I find it is possible, I will ask anyone interested to contact me to review the in-depth plans.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    To your question :
    Has there ever been a scenario close to this... where the `owners` work the business, taking a small percent while the investor takes the majority of returns - that being the form of repayment - `till the initial debt is paid off? I`m sure there has - but it isn`t exactly the way I`d go about it.

There is some work to do before you approach any capital sources, but adding someone to the team with significant restaurant experience is a great start.
  • Options
    dbarton02dbarton02 subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks Mark - it does help.

To answer your question, yes, I do have background in culinary arts, as well as a close friend that would also join on this venture if it were to take flight.

I understand that running a restaurant is a lot deeper than a passion and a menu.  I was just stating that as of right now, thats where the plan stands - as I don`t want to dig and dig and dig only to find out that my proposal wouldn`t be feasible. 

One thing I know, and have known, is that restaurants are born and die faster than most businesses - and that is one of the reasons I had a franchise proposal within there as well.
    I`m not saying they`re bulletproof, but I know that they have a proven start-up and support model for the owners, making their survival rates significantly greater (though not guaranteed). 

I`ll do a bit of reading on your recommendation. 

The restaurant / bar idea has been a bug in my mind for years, and I just got around to thinking, "Why am I just speculating about this?  Why not actually find out what can be done here?"

And as with anything - if you have a great concept and/or idea, and it looks sound enough to work in the market, someone will buy it!
  • Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    dbarton02,
    I found an article about Rocco and Jeffrey at http://nymag.com/nymetro/food/features/n_10216/</A> 
    If your question is - can a well planned restaurant with a quality, proven team acquire funding- the answer is "it can".
    Since most franchiser`s supply some financial support - they may offer a more direct path to the capital.  Remember that many of these entities are in business to sell franchises - so you need to do your homework before you commit to anything.

• Options
    nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    The two big issues with restaurants are uniqueness and location.  Many restaurants fail because there is nothing different about the new restaurant.  They sell the same food, at the same price, in the same type of surroundings.  A new restaurant opened in my area for instance and had huge crowds when they first opened.  After less than three months though, they have cut their staff in half because of dwindling sales.  There now struggling to stay open.

The restaurant is also located off the beaten path as it were.  They`re to far away from the main shopping and traffic areas to attract customers.

In like manner, a really nice donut shop failed.  It too was located away from the main traffic and shopping areas.  Customers had to go way out of their way to get to the donut shop.  Most customers weren`t willing to do this since they could get the same product in the main shopping areas.