WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Early startups as an S-Corp?

SteveJSteveJ subscriber Posts: 2
edited October 2008 in Business Planning

I am just getting the courage to start an internet company that will be a combination of retailer/social network.  I plan on bootstrapping this company for as long as I can, but figure that I will eventually need VC funding.  I am trying to figure out if I should start out as an LLC or an S-Corp.  I have read plenty and have concluded that an S-Corp is the right longer term strategy.  However, I have read that I must pay myself a “reasonable” salary if an S-Corp.  I have no plans of drawing a salary for up to the first year and will potentially bring on people who will also work for a stake in the company, but no salary.  Based on this, should I just do LLC and end up switching later to an S-Corp, once revenue/profits are at a point that we can draw a salary and at the point we start to seek outside funding?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Steve

Comments

• robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Which structure will be best for you - depends upon your specific situation and goals.

Here are some general comments;
    1. It is much easier to convert an LLC to a corporation than to go the other way.
    2. You probably wouldn`t convert an LLC to an S corp but rather to a C corp.
    3  There are limitations on the S corporation which make it unwieldy when bringing in outside investors - especial the professional angel or VC type.

If you want to discuss your specific situation send me a PM.

• pepperlegalpepperlegal subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Steve,
    The SBA website (www.sba.gov) has some good information on this.  I`d also be happy to chat with you to give you my thoughts.