WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

National Send a Card Day - Did I use to much copy?

crmartincancrmartincan subscriber Posts: 1
edited June 2008 in Website Critique
It`s very possible I have.
My name is Cynthia Martin and National Send a Card Day (NSACDay) is a project that is centered around cancer awareness.  My emotional attachment may be too integrated in the copy I used.  I also tried to answer FAQs.  I will admit, I was a little nervous about submitting this website for review, but because I want it to be successful, I am ready to hear your feedback. My background is in the greeting card industry, which is why this is a natural way for me to contribute. The purpose of this website is to raise money through the sale of our commemorative greeting card set to make a substantial contribution to the ACS, provide a media center for video messages/tributes, provide another outlet for artists to share their talents for this cause, and provide employment opportunities that will keep this project alive each year.  I am the designer of this website, but as budget allows, I will look to someone else to do all of the website work, including incorporating our own video player vs. using YouTube`s.  I have been reading and taking into consideration the information provided by SUN, I hope I haven`t completely missed it...I appreciate any feedback you may have.  www.nsacday.comcrmartincan6/24/2008 2:34 PM

Comments

• Options
    besthealthbesthealth subscriber Posts: 4
    What a great idea to raise funds for the American Cancer Study. I am also actively involved with cancer related and awareness activities. I recently served as a research volunteer with the Relay for Life CPS3 (Cancer Prevention Study).  I wish you great success - as you work to serve others with cancer - your personal card business will also flourish.
  • Options
    besthealthbesthealth subscriber Posts: 4
    Just checked out your site - it is really wonderful. It`s a job well done for such a great cause! The videos are a great way to bring the personal stories to those who visit your site. Much, much success to you!!!!!!!
  • Options
    besthealth,
    Thank you for your feedback.  Face to face sells are going well and getting better, but on-line is fairly slow.  I thought it might have something to do with my content - maybe I`m missing something.  I send out enewsletters, and pass out lot`s of literature, perhaps I just need to be a little more patient.
    cynthia
    www.nsacday.comcrmartincan6/24/2008 9:46 PM
  • Options
    WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member

Overall, I like the color scheme, the layout, and the overall concept of what you`re doing. It`s a great message, concept, and obviously something you`ve put time and effort into.
    Having said that, I think you could do a couple of things different visually. For example, the title of the page isn`t obvious; it just kind of sits and hides under the ribbon/rainbow. It needs to stand out more. The eye needs a visual informational starting point to know where to begin on your page. When I first looked at it, it was confusing because I`m looking around like "Where am I and what do I do next? Where do I start off?"
    The purple bars seem to break the page up in unusual places.
    The font is somewhat small. Try to keep 2 colors at the most.
    Between the top left image, the video below it, and the ribbon header, nothing really seems to flow together to create a solid look at the top of the page. Not saying that the images aren`t good, they just don`t quite fit together as is. It`s like 3 pieces of a puzzle forced together. The links at the top left need to stand out more; again, it`s like they`re hiding there, waiting to be found.
    Your SEO could use some work as far as alt tags and h1/h2 tags; basic on-page stuff that would help for search engines.
    Overall I think it`s a great idea, just need to fine tune your presentation.

• Options
    Webline
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.   I really needed to hear if there are things that may confuse a visitor.  I`m not sure why I lean towards small text, but I`m sure it would help if people could read what my website has to say.  There is another piece I need to add to the website within the next couple of days, perhaps I`ll use the addition as an opportunity to utilize some of your suggestions.
    Thanks again for taking a moment to share your thoughts
    cynthia
    www.nsacday.com