WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Getting and Keeping employees for sporadic Contract Work

DavidthePuppeteerDavidthePuppeteer subscriber Posts: 3
 In the beginning I found this a challenge. The type of contract work I do is dependant on when a client wants my service (and in the entertainment business, you never know when). So, at least in the beginning, I need to get a general idea of an employees availability. This gives me an idea if I can perform at a birthday party on a certain date.
First, understand, I just started my business in Aug `05 and that I have built up a small list of satisfied customers. This is key because employees must have something to look forward to. Right now I am in negotiations with a school and various library branches. So my goal is to get steady work which will motivate employees to stay with me. And, of course, they must be paid well. That`s my philosophy. I can make my money through scaling my extended product line.
In the meantime, with contract few and far jobs , what do I do? Well what I did was get lucky & got a great Creative Assistant. I want to keep my best employee, so I pay her generally more than the other employees & use her more frequently than the others. I am a small company with little funds now & to ensure the service of one happy employee is the best that I can do.
As most business owners know, getting employees can be an expensive by using newspapers, radio or TV. I have found 3 very most effective methods. One is My Space. After a week, You can post an ad to find employees FOR FREE..and it works. Second, the chamber of commerce recommended a periodical here in Miami. $30.00 for 1 week. That works too. Third in interns.  Some educational schools provide interns to businesses in the community - and some interns just work for credits. Big advantage! However, all this is based on my negotiating skills as an employer; and I have only been an employer for a few months now.
Here is what has happened in the past. A teacher asks, can you entertain 100 students - I was shocked and said no! But it strikes a good point. With a great service (such as my business, "Native American Puppet Theater" www.nativepuppets.com</A> ) demand for large numbers is very possible and can make the business much money; How can I fulfill that demand with the proper number of employees ready and eager?
I need input on this subject so bad.
Thanks,
David Coronel

Comments