WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Financing Marketing to go nationwide - Any ideas.

WiFiTechWiFiTech subscriber Posts: 2
edited August 2008 in Startup Funding
I was unable to find a way to search the forums for information on my concern.
I have been working on an idea for a business that is a combination of three businesses (non that I own), that would solve a problem, each of the businesses face. Since each business is national, and the idea is simple, all three businesses would be able to compete immediately. I can even name the businesses (Fed Ex, UPS and DHL), but without the capital to market the idea, I would be in business for about 6 months. The market is mentioned on the news at least once a week. The cause is not going to be gone anytime soon, and the three existing companies see a perceived barrier. The problem I face is simple, once the idea is explained to anyone with the finances to do it, there is no way to protect it. It is like trying to market a new flavor of Pizza to the Nation. You can market it local and small, but Domino`s, Pizza Hut and Pappa John`s would have it, as fast as, thier lawyers can confirm minimal economic risk. I have offered consults on many things that I have come accross in my life, and only one of the 30 ideas have not produced a "millionaire" (due to lack of execution). I would like to actually have the chance to either be compensated for my "idea" or follow one of them to fruition.
Thank,
Kevin

Comments

• robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member

While I can`t speak to your specific situation - there may be some way to legally protect your concept, or some key part of it. [ie - the Wright bros patents were about "controls" of flight not the actual airplane itself)
    Another way to reduce the potential that some company will "do it themselves" - is to make it easier, faster, simpler for them to engage with you.
    If you`d like to discuss specifics - send me a PMrobertj2008-8-3 13:45:47