WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Shopping cart for an existing website?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ivoogivoog subscriber Posts: 1
    I don`t make ecommerce websites with this many pages often. So I am used to just creating html pages and linking them together to make a website (the normal way to do it). I did this with the 100 pages I made for the site and thought the shopping cart would just be a quick mysql installation and then a little code for the buttons.
    But, I can`t find one like this. Well, actually I just found a solution!: http://www.ultracart.com/online-shoppin ... -features/ but its $49.95 per month! Of course I can afford that but I just feel sad buying it since there is so much free software out there (full e-commerce solutions). Sadly, I cannot redesign everything and hiring a web developer or redesigning everything myself with e-commerce software is just a waste since I worked so hard on all these pages that are already DONE. My question still remains, if anyone knows a low cost or free solution for a non-hosted shopping cart that I can integrate into my server to work with html websites please talk! Thanks.
  • Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    I don`t make ecommerce websites with this many pages often. So I am used to just creating html pages and linking them together to make a website (the normal way to do it). I did this with the 100 pages I made for the site and thought the shopping cart would just be a quick mysql installation and then a little code for the buttons.

Ok, I`ll try this again  ... I believe ZenCart or other application is your solution.

The only reason you have 100 pages is because you created pages to display your various products. ZenCart does that automatically. So, essentially to use ZenCart for your site, you would just need to change the graphics and CSS to make the site look like you want. The product pages, list of products, etc are all created for you. You would just add your products, pricing, and images.

The cost of ZenCart $0, hosting maybe $80 to $100 per year. You could even start with a template which may run from $50 to $150.

~Roland
    vwebworld3/18/2009 8:44 AM
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for helping.
    I really don`t want to use Zen Cart for many reasons (including that the pages are not very search engine friendly, especially the address of them) and have made up my mind. YAY!
    I have gotten over the fact about a hosted shopping cart being at another URL after convincing the shopping cart provider that I can customize the page! So thanks again for helping!
  • Options
    NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    IVOOG,
    I was just reading through all of the thread, and I think we gave you some valuable information. Ever since I started answering your thread I knew where this was going.... VWebWorld, and myself gave you some advise.... It can`t get any better, but this is your typical small business DO IT YOURSELF mentality.
    You are totally disregarding  "Good Customer Shopping Experience", over your pride. I think you have to much pride to drop the 100 HTML pages that probably took 3 to 4 months to build. Secondly, your web site looks  unprofessional (but of course its your pride and joy).
    IVOOG, let me be honest with you, you are selling items that are within the $500 - to 2,000.00 bracket, and you are telling me you don`t have $900.00 to $1200.00 to hire VWebworld and have him built you a good looking web site? Have you read the David Jacksons 10 reasons why most small businesses fail? Its a thread here on S.U.N. its controversial but you might learn something from it...
    Good luck on your business endeavors ... 
  • Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for helping. If I offended you in any way im sorry
    www.ivoog.com is not my website, that one is OLD, really OLD. Doesn`t it look old? www.ivoog.com/test/miniscooters/x360 < that is the new design. I think it looks really good
  • Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for helping. If I offended you in any way im sorry
    www.ivoog.com is not my website, that one is OLD, really OLD. Doesn`t it look old? www.ivoog.com/test/miniscooters/x360 < that is the new design. I think it looks really good

No you didn`t offend me in anyway... Regardless, I visited both links and I don`t know which one is worse... I think you need to spend some cash on your Logo.... Because again IVOOG, you have some awesome products there.... I like the Pocket bikes, I`ve been looking for one of those for my son... what`s the age range for those things?
  • Options
    What, really? I actually think the new website looks very good. What does everyone else think? (http://www.ivoog.com/test/miniscooters/x360). Besides, it`s not done yet. Should be done in a few days.
    Pocket bikes are usually used by kids and teens (6-18). Your website looks pretty good; except one thing I would change is the "Complete business solutions" text at the top. It looks messy.
  • Options
    So you wouldn`t recommended for a 4 year old huh? Honestly, your IVOOG logo looks too Google-ish. At first I didn`t know if I was searching Google or your site.... You might as well gone to Google and copy their Logo in its entirity. Honestly, you`re cutting corners.... which is fine, but I noticed you have another posting where your asking about branding?
    The first step to branding your business is finding a logo that represents your company and your products. Like I told you previously, you have a good product, what you do with it is up to you. Cutting corners is good to get your name out there, but with so many competitors in your industry not paying attention to the smallest things might hurt you in the long run, including your business`s exsitence.
  • Options
    Thanks.
    This is really just a side business for me Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    By the way, I would recommend an Electric Pocket Bike for a 4 year old. I wouldn`t really recommend a gas one
  • Options
    Hello people!
    Well the website is fully complete. You can view it at www.ivoog.com! Isn`t it lovely?