WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Website critique

cdbartworkcdbartwork subscriber Posts: 11
edited January 2008 in Website Critique

Hi Everyone:

I am new to the site and trying to jump right in to the swing of things. Anyone who would like to give some feedback on my website please do. I am looking to see what might be missing, I have gotten some feedback from friends and family but don`t know if it is actually meeting its mark, the consumer interested in buying jewelry or sunsafe clothing. I do not have prices listed as I sell to galleries wholesale and this would be confusing.

Let me know what you think.

www.bronsteinartwork.com

Thanks.

Colleen

Comments

• Options
    WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    First impression .... the tan area looks crammed up to the left side of the browser, making it look out of balance. I`m not sure the home page animation is that effective, and as Craig said, some people may not wait to see it all. It really isn`t effective as a home page; this is where you should be adding some information for your visitors. At the very least, make it smaller and add information in this page with it. Many sites that do this also provide a "Skip" button so that viewers can avoid seeing it, yet that means you need another main info page for them to go to. Try to see it from a new visitors/potential customers point of view, and how they would react. View other sites of similiar purpose, get a feel for what they do; don`t copy them, but see what works and what doesn`t.I don`t see many things that are SEO friendly to aid in search results, if that is something you are going to be relying on.
  • Options
    Paula:

Thanks for your response. I am excited about this site and look forward to learning a lot.

I will be doing some shows and if State College has a museum I will forward my bio and see if they have any interest.

Colleen
  • Options
    Craig:

Thank you for checking out my webiste. You provided a lot of detailed information which I appreciate.

I do have a bio page and artists` statement on the info button.

I will discuss all this with my designer.

Thanks again.

Colleen
  • Options
    Thank you for your feedback. I too felt it was crammed to the left, when it was first shown to me it was centered.

Also, not clear on SEO friendly (is this search engine ???). I put a lot of descriptors into this, as requested by my designer just for this purpose. What am I missing?

Colleen
  • Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Flash restricts what search engine can "read", that`s why when you use flash you put it into an html page.

For your site, while you have an html page the only search engine optimization (SEO) you have is a page title "<title>Colleen Dougherty Bronstein</title>". There is no description tag nor can the links to your other pages be read by search engines.

You should add a description tag to every page, every page should have a unique title relevant to its` content, and add text based links to all your pages on your home page (the html part) under the flash section is fine.

One other thing...watch the files sizes of your images. The large photo on the sun safe page is over 209Kb. Try to keep image file sizes below 50Kb.

~Roland
  • Options
    Anne:

Thank you for the feedback, I will definitely start to implement some of your ideas. Yes, I agree the photo of the clothing on the rug (hoping no one would notice) needs to be redone and yes I should have a model.

Colleen
  • Options
    Roland:

The information you provided is very helpful. Now I have some solid feedback to give my web designer. Since he and I speak different languages (html, java, flash) now I feel like I know what I am talking about.

Thank you for taking the time to look over the website, everyone has been so helpful. This is a great resource.

Colleen