WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Grant for re-start of my garden maintenance business

colbollcolboll subscriber Posts: 1
edited January 2009 in Startup Funding
Hi, does this site help UK people too?. my business has slowed right down to the point where i feel a complete new start is necessary for march-aprill. Looking for grant or other finance help. Thanks. colin

Comments

• Options
    Ok thanks for response, will concentrate efforts here in Uk.
  • Options
    startuphelperstartuphelper subscriber Posts: 2
    Interesting to see that folks outside the U.S. are also in search of the elusive free money (grants).

Ever since the late night infomercials starting touting free government money people have gotten it into their heads that there are grants available for new business startups. This is just not true.

If you are looking for funding for a new small business startup you will need to look elsewhere. Grants are generally meant for non profit companies or companies that can provide major economic stimulus to a community.

A typical new start up will need to be funded through good old fashioned savings. Loans have always been difficult to obtain for a new start up and now it`s that much more difficult. Angels, usually friends/family, are another option, but even Venture Capital groups are not interested in the little start up. They generally fund businesses that have a proven track record and are ready to go to the next level.

Generally speaking, you should not waste your time or money in search of grants.

• Options
     Ok thanks, that sort of negative (not implying you are negative) will motivate me into proving you are wrong. So, may have lots to thank you for in fullness of time ( ish) I apreciate response though. Good luck to you . Colin
  • Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Colin,

I don`t know about the situation in the UK as relates to financial assistance - so I can`t offer any specific suggestions.

As you plan your search, consider who will benefit (besides you) from the successful restart of your business - then look to connect with them.

I`d begin in your local area.
  • Options
    Hi, thank you, that sounds interesting-given me a new angle to pursue. It does seem difficult here in UK to find fresh start up . But there are glimmers of hope in that funding is available for business expansion re taking on staff ( difficult for all in the present climate, i know) . Thank`s for your kindness. Colin
  • Options
    startuphelperstartuphelper subscriber Posts: 2
     Ok thanks, that sort of negative (not implying you are negative) will motivate me into proving you are wrong. So, may have lots to thank you for in fullness of time ( ish) I apreciate response though. Good luck to you . Colin

It would be great if you did prove me wrong!

The last thing I want to do is discourage anybody from pursuing their dreams. My own passion is helping others start their own businesses. But the harsh truth is there is no free money.