WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Can my DBA actually own property??

Hendu3270Hendu3270 subscriber Posts: 1
edited October 2008 in Business Planning
Hello all. I`ve been searching on the internet and couldn`t find an answer but I did stumble upon you guys.
My question is this. I have a waterfowl guiding business that I`m starting up and have setup my DBA, (in Texas), and I have my tax certificate from the state. Can I transfer my boat into my company name? So that on the title to the boat it actually says my company name?
Thanks in advance for any help.
ChrisHendu32702008-10-10 14:48:51

Comments

• Options
    NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Chris? what`s the legal structure? Sole Proprietor? LLC, or Corp?
    I`m thinking. If you`re a Corp or LLC, I can see the benefit of doing this. but if you`re a sole-proprietor that means you`re using your Social Security as your TAX ID number. So if any one was to sue you; you`re boat would be theirs along with your business. Just because it would show a company name on the title doesn`t mean you don`t own it.
    Now, if you`re a Corp or LLC,  that means that your Corp would has it`s own TaxID number, separate from your social security, then it would be hard for someone to take your boat as long at they don`t pierce your corporate veil.