WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Advertising Survey

ckinnjckinnj subscriber Posts: 1
edited January 2007 in Marketing
Hi everybodyI am a budding entrepenur. I have been listening to all Startupnation podcasts and events for about a year and now I have a necessity to get logged in here.I think this is a great site in connecting entrepeneurs and sharing ideas.I would like to get some ideas on doing succesful online surveys.I am doing market research on online grocery shopping habits of people. I created an online survey form http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=369063138232 to get responses. How can I make this form visible to all internet users? (I don`t see these forms come up in google search results )or Which  is the best way I to increase my response?Also, can you all help me by taking this 30 second survey form ? thanks much for all your suggestions and for participating in this survey.thanksCK.

Comments

• ethosethos subscriber Posts: 1
    I went and test-drove your survey.  Would you  like a little feedback?
    First, I`d suggest you have a native English speaker edit your questions for you.  It doesn`t bother me, but a lot of people are offended if the questions are worded in such a way as to make it clear that English is not your first language.  Heck, I figure you speak better English than I do any other language, so my hat is off to you.  But, it can affect your response rates and make your respondents take you less seriously.
    Secondly, take a look at the question where you ask the favorite grocery stores.  You are giving this survey worldwide via the web, and so are likely to have respondents from all over the country, or the world.  I myself am in the Midwest.  I didn`t recognize a single grocery store vendor name on your list, I`m guessing all those vendors are common where you are...New Jersey?  But do a little research on major national chains of grocers and at least have all of the big names on your list...Kroger, Albertsons, Hy-Vee, Price Chopper, Meijers (I think that`s a grocery store) to name a few.  It doesn`t have to be exhaustive, but names that people from all over the country would recognize would be a good start.
    Also, I gather that you`re asking about online ordering of groceries for delivery to people`s residences.  If that is the case, you probably want to get a good idea of your respondent`s location.  Asking for a zip code or something might help.  A respondent living in rural Missouri may have strong interest in your potential services, but their opinion should not be factored in as strongly as people living within your potential service area.  Their response is of interest, of course, but knowing their location helps you know if they are a potential customer of yours or not.
    As far as getting respondents to take your survey, it`s my understanding that you have to direct them there yourself.  Posts like this on communities that you are a part of, invitations to take the survey on your website, sending e-mails to people in your address book, asking people you know to take the survey...that`s how you get respondents.  Unless you want to purchase a list from a vendor.
    If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.  I`m starting my own market research consulting firm to help startups and small businesses do exactly what you are doing, and get good reliable results that they can count on.  I applaud your efforts on trying to find out what your potential market wants. 
    Kelly
  • ChuckChuck subscriber Posts: 6
    Kelly is right on about finding respondents for your survey, you have to take an active role and try to find representative groups that can provide the feedback you need. Providing some sort of incentive can help if you`re struggling to find respondents (we are offering a chance to win a digital camera to all respondents to our currently active survey).As far as the survey itself, here are some tips:In your introduction, set an expectation as to the length of the survey, and the estimated time it will take to fill out - that`s a standard practice, and will improve the # you get to complete the surveyDon`t start with demographic information - better to get right into the meat of your survey and pull in demographics at the endInstead of asking for Age, provide a set of age ranges - if you`re aggregating data, you`re going to do it around groups of demographics, it`s going to be much harder to so if you have to parse out numerous individual responses (you`re not going to get much information from comparing the responses of a 32 and a 33 year old person - group them).Definitely proofreadWhen the survey is complete, redirect to somewhere other than the surveymonkey site. Perhaps provide a thank you page and solicit their email address with an offer to send a summary of the survey results - you can build up a contact list to use for future surveys.There are vast amounts of knowledge online regarding good survey design, we`ve just hit on a few points. Good luck with your survey.