WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

tradeshow freight startup...

cjraycjray subscriber Posts: 1
edited July 2016 in Business Planning
Hello All,
I am new to this forum and find it very interesting.  I am currenly working for a tradeshow freight company that is basiclly a broker for time sensitive cargo domestically and internationally. 
I have a 1 year plan and hope to bring some of my customers with me.  I have my corporation and IRS number. 
I am taking it step by step but I am afraid that I will have trouble actually leaving my current job and "taking the jump".
any advice to help?

Comments

• Options
    SandraPSandraP subscriber Posts: 3
    Hey cjray! It`s a risk but you sound like you`re courageous! Be sure you have a solid business plan and ask people you trust to give you feedback. Have an open mind and listen to what they say. SUN has some great resources for you, too. I espcecially like the On Demand Seminars. Also, be sure you have a solid financial plan - there will be risk involved but you can do a lot to minimize it. And my most important tidbit - be really clear on why you want to do this - if you know your Big Why, you`ll make the hows happen!
    Good luck cjray!
  • Options
    DwayneGarrettDwayneGarrett subscriber Posts: 1
    Before you quit your job...
    The best advice I can give you is to really think your idea all the way through.  Make sure you are filling a need of your customer, and that there is a valid market opportunity for you to enter.
    How will you get customers outside of the ones you know now?
    Are you sure that you are not in violation of your current companies rules with dealing with customers after you leave the company?
    Why will customers buy from you instead of others?  What makes you so different?
    How much is it going to cost to startup?  Do you have enough to cover yourself for at least 6 months with no income?
    How much will it cost to operate, ie. rent, utilities, salaries?
    Really take a deep look into yourself and decide if you are truly committed to making your business a success for you.
  • Options
    HelenSHelenS subscriber Posts: 0
    Just  one more thing to consider - I have watched many of my clients start their own businesses and one thing they need to avoid is having too big of a debt load to start their new business. The business projections you do should show about a five year payback of any start up debt you may be willing to incur.  It`s tough enough starting from scratch with a new business without taking on the burden of too much debt.  Borrow what you need, have a budget as part of your business plan and stick to it. 
    Now that I am starting another new venture I am following my own advice about sticking to my budget. 
    Taking the leap can be a little scary but if you do your homework and believe in what you are doing, running your own business is great place to be.HelenS2007-9-6 17:47:18
  • Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member

I am taking it step by step but I am afraid that I will have trouble actually leaving my current job and "taking the jump".
    any advice to help?

I think you are on the right path with your "step by step" approach. If you are uncomfortable with the idea of leaving your job - then go as far as you can without doing so.
    You could ask yourself; "What conditions would make me feel "comfortable" with leaving" - then lay out a action plan to create those conditions.
    All the best.
  • Options
    emeliaingramemeliaingram subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    Its very risky so if you have enough knowledge and experience you can take it by step by step. Freight is not an easy business, the industry of freight forwarding is very big and broad there are many competitors out there. You really need to study all the aspects first before engaging to a freight business.

BRI International Freight Forwarding Companies
    http://www.brint.com.au/services/freight-forwarding
  • Options
    charucharu subscriber Posts: 27 Bronze Level Member
    Interesting information i gathered here. Thanks everyone. I would also like to share my knowledge on the same.Starting your own small freight business can be stable and lucrative venture. Millions of tons of textiles, food, equipment and raw materials are hauled across the highways of the United States every year. No matter what the current state of the economy, freight will always need to be hauled.
    1.Define your target market by deciding what types of freight your business will haul and what geographic area you will service.
    2. Identify what type of customer will you serve, and what load volume you will haul to begin with.
    3. Write your business plan specifically identifying those competencies that will make your business a success in freight markets.
    4. Secure the required licenses, insurance and bonding needed to operate your small freight business.
    5. Market your business directly to your targeted customers. Bid on freight contracts to guarantee regular business.
  • Options
    YourRetailCoachYourRetailCoach subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member

If your freight company is a broker and cargo domestically and internationally then you need to fill a need for your customer and know the market very well. Also, identify what type of customer will you serve, what is your business plan and lastly, go for the step by step" approach.

YRC is a Management Consulting Company, especially for the B-C Sector. Our expertise lies into designing of Standard Operating Procedures, Franchise Development, Strategy & Operations services, Process Audits & Training.