WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Where to start with domain knowledge and identify challenges?

RajTRajT subscriber Posts: 1 Member

Hello friends,

I am currently a software engineer with a comfortable job. These COVID times have made me realize that time is very precious, even more than having the comfort of a stable job. I have co-founded a startup before and I am looking to get back into the startup phase. 

I am hunting for ideas right now based on technologies that I am familiar with. I want to take a challenge or issue that might exist in any domain/industry and try to solve it. My problem is, I have not worked in any one industry long enough to build up domain knowledge. I am 29 years old. 

For example, I was thinking of hiring a domain expert to find the issues and challenges facing the insurance industry. I do not have tons of savings to be able to retain someone with specialized knowledge long enough. So in this case, how can I get an in-depth understanding of domain? I have seen from my time working as an independent contractor that people who are successful in any industry are the ones who have a deep and detailed understanding of issues that exist in that industry. 

I have been told that I should read any kind of material that I can find about how things work in that industry of my interest, but I want to know if there exists a better way to gain domain knowledge and identify the issues and challenged within that industry. What techniques or methodologies have you guys used in such a case if any? 

Time goes by pretty fast and I think its best if I can spend that time to help people and make someone's life easier. 

Please let me know if this is a really not appropriate place to post. 

Thanks you very much!

Comments