WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

AJAX plans

ChuckChuck subscriber Posts: 6
Wondering if anyone in the community has implemented, or is in the process of implementing any interesting AJAX projects on their website? I`m sure we`ve got some bleeding edgers on here, love to see how people are putting this into practice for their business.As a marketing guy, I`ll just add that you should make sure you`re addressing the SEO and analytics issues inherent in anything AJAX.

Comments

• NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    I`ve been looking into AJAX, and PHP. But I am not ready to go back to the javascript world, I do want to use xml but again it is fairly new and Search engines can`t read the format. Secondly, You have to be a good javascript-er if you are going to jump into something like AJAX, because javascripting can be buggy and the functionality of the web site may not work as intended if not coded right.What I`ve been doing is researching other methods such as DHTML to go work around the java-scripts. Let me give you an example: Most people use a Javascript to create a pop-up or pop under external screen for what ever you may want to use it for. I found out that you can accomplish the same in DHTML. For now, AJAX is still in the gray area.
  • ChuckChuck subscriber Posts: 6
    big bucks to waste on time-consuming technologies implies lack of any true value in the method, which seems a bit on the harsh side. Especially when there are some really good uses of ajax out there that could point the way for smaller business sites, especially once the technology and implementation are both better understood and simpler to implement.Google maps, Flickr, Kayak, Basecamp and numerous other sites have shown the benefits that can be derived for the user experience from proper use of ajax - hardly seems like a waste to me if you can find a strategic use for it.Chuck2007-3-12 13:35:42
  • paul2145rpaul2145r subscriber Posts: 5
    I`d love to be able to use AJAX, but don`t have the programming background to truly make it worthwhile. I am looking for programmers and people that can wear `both hats` (`neurs and techies) to add to my project. Let us know if there are any good examples in the StartupNation Community, Chuck!
    That`s what I`m hoping to see in this forum Paul! Hopefully someone can come through with a good example of ajax on their own site (going beyond the major company examples I cited).
    Chuck,Don`t get me wrong, I have used or lets say I am currently developing a customers web site that uses AJAX. I am using it as a way to implement Yahoo Maps on the customers web site. I can give you a sneak peak at what I am developing. But I know how in the forums we tend to have one too many Web (Wanna Be-developers) Not you NIKOLE, you are in my coldfusion buddies book, that would get antsy and start clicking  all over and then come back to the forum and tell me that the links aren`t working. (Mind you I said it was in development) But here is what I have accomplished with AJAX, I am able to create a customer map based on his/ her location and create a driving directions map from within the Customers web site [I am using the widgets functions]. So basically you can zoom in or zoom out, click whether you want to see a satellite view or a street view map. I am about 95% complete with the project. If you`d like I can send you a personal invitation so you can see what I am doing. AJAX if Implemented correctly can serve it`s purpose. Especially if there is a special function that you want to add to a web site. Regardless, of SEO WHO cares if it`s not search able, you know what I have noticed with allot of my customers they want every single page to be search able, but the truth of the fact is there are some pages in a website that you may not want to optimize. A good example of pages you don`t want optimized are Active Server pages (Form Action pages) and so forth. So if you use AJAX to Serve its purpose as long as you can deliver good functionality to a web site, the rest is OK.One page that is not optimized, out of 50 in a web site is not bad.
  • RichardBuggyRichardBuggy subscriber Posts: 4
    Everyone also forgets that you don`t need to go over the top with AJAX. On many sites I use it to provide simple enhancements (i.e. populating a second drop down list once something is selected in the first one).
    BTW, since there was mention of maps and such ... I thought I might also want to point out this:A More Accessible Map (from A List Apart)It talks about the problems with maps in general .. basically how the API works and how they are popping up everywhere, but how they are useless to those with special needs and we can do better.
    NIKOLE, thats where DHTML POP UP Windows, Advanced CSS (for Placement) come into play. I hate using javascripts for pop up windows, So DHTML offers that Clean look.
    Everyone also forgets that you don`t need to go over the top with AJAX. On many sites I use it to provide simple enhancements (i.e. populating a second drop down list once something is selected in the first one).
    Ah yes, a partner in crime - can you pass along an example site Richard?
    ...thats where DHTML POP UP Windows, Advanced CSS (for Placement) come into play. I hate using javascripts for pop up windows, So DHTML offers that Clean look.I wouldn`t really advocate using ajax for any of those things - as evidenced by good usage of the methods involved, ajax`s benefit comes not from fancy handling of things like pop ups or anything else better handled by dhtml. The benefit lies in the merging of javascript with xml in order to obviate the need for a server call when data interaction takes place. It can create a faster and more optimized user experience in many cases.
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    DHTML menus are still javascript powered, thus can be disabled if the viewer has javascript deactivated (in his/her browser).
    For menu items - CSS based menus work best they are SEO friendly and can produce user friendly mouseover efects.
    ~Roland
  • InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    Ajax is a neat technology. Microsoft has some really interesting stuff at an interesting demo hosted by Microsoft. Free plugin required.
    The new Yahoo mail beta uses AJAX and it`s very nice looking but awfully slow, even on a really fast machine. Our web site doesn`t use anything except XHTML/CSS. Not even a snip of Javascript. But I suppose that will change.

...thats where DHTML POP UP Windows, Advanced CSS (for Placement) come into play. I hate using javascripts for pop up windows, So DHTML offers that Clean look.I wouldn`t really advocate using ajax for any of those things - as evidenced by good usage of the methods involved, ajax`s benefit comes not from fancy handling of things like pop ups or anything else better handled by dhtml. The benefit lies in the merging of javascript with xml in order to obviate the need for a server call when data interaction takes place. It can create a faster and more optimized user experience in many cases.Chuck I was referencing the Yahoo Maps API/ AJAX integration in conjunction with the  DHTML pop up windows to create a good looking web site. Not that I am going to use AJAX, to create a pop up window. I don`t believe in writing 50 lines of code to get one simple function. But Like I Said earlier AJAX can be a neat language to to use on a web site. If you know what you are doing and you know what you want to do with it.
    MM is just a variable (MM =MACROMEDIA) they did this to make the Wizards simple. As far as drop down menus, Well... They are not only Javascript based. If you know how to use Fireworks 8.0 or MX, you can create a full drop down menu in CSS. Ive created a few for friends and they work perfectly. Now as far as DHTML and Javascripts, yes they still work together, but what DHTML does is that, it doesn`t give you that ugly "javascript pop up prompt" everytime someone visits your site.