WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How to avoid scams in C2C business?

Dreamer08Dreamer08 subscriber Posts: 3 Member

Hello,

I am about to build a startup that is based on c2c business. I am quite afraid that it's gonna raise scammers. How do I prevent that?

Thank you!

Comments

• detelinadetelina subscriber Posts: 27 Bronze Level Member

unfortunately no way. There are many schemes that are unrealistic to provide. 

But you can try as much as possible to protect yourself

• likeshigh12likeshigh12 subscriber Posts: 86 Silver Level Member

Make your site on a highly secure platform. use a secure payment gateway to avoid scamers.

• kanikabugraptorskanikabugraptors subscriber Posts: 10 Bronze Level Member

C2C is very tricky and obviously involves a lot of scams. But there are a few things that might help you avoid any kind of issues.  

• Make sure you test your website or business platform for maximum security. 
    • Have a secure login process that comes with proper verification and use of TFA.  
    • Make sure you test the business platform through penetration testing 
    • Make sure you implement secure payment gateways. 
    • Last but not least, make sure you partner with a quality assurance company to help you throughout maintaining the security requirements.  

• lambdawinner829lambdawinner829 subscriber Posts: 14 Bronze Level Member

There are tons of scams that you can avoid and I think that more people will be looking at this and working it out in the long run. I can see it working out with the platforms that we are seeing and I feel like it has been good to see. There are more ways that we can keep doing this and I am glad that there are some aware people who wants to avoid things like this over here.

• Riley74Riley74 subscriber Posts: 49 Bronze Level Member

To avoid scams in consumer-to-consumer (C2C) business transactions, consider the following tips:

1. Research and Verify: Before engaging in any C2C transaction, research the buyer or seller. Look for their reputation, reviews, and ratings on the platform or through external sources. Verify their identity and contact information if possible.

2. Use Trusted Platforms: Stick to reputable C2C platforms with robust security measures and buyer/seller protection programs. Popular platforms often have safeguards in place to minimize the risk of scams and fraudulent activities.

3. Communication: Maintain clear and transparent communication with the other party. Ask questions, request additional information or images if necessary, and be cautious of sellers/buyers who are evasive or reluctant to provide details.

4. Secure Payment Methods: Use secure payment methods that offer buyer/seller protection, such as PayPal or escrow services. These services help mitigate the risk of fraud or non-delivery of goods. Avoid using wire transfers, money orders, or unconventional payment methods that offer little recourse in case of a dispute.

5. Check for Red Flags: Be cautious of deals that seem too good to be true, such as significantly lower prices or unrealistic offers. Watch out for suspicious requests or unusual demands, such as requests for payment outside the platform or requests for personal or financial information.

6. Protect Personal Information: Be cautious about sharing personal information like bank account details or Social Security numbers unless necessary and only with trusted parties. Keep your personal information secure and avoid responding to unsolicited requests for personal or financial information.

7. Inspect and Verify: If possible, inspect the item before completing the transaction. Request additional images, ask for more details about the condition, and be wary of sellers who avoid providing accurate information or images.

8. Trust Your Instincts: If something feels off or raises suspicions, trust your instincts and proceed with caution or consider walking away from the transaction.

9. Read and Understand Policies: Familiarize yourself with the platform's policies, terms of service, and buyer/seller protection guidelines. Understand the recourse available to you in case of a dispute or fraudulent activity.

10. Leave Feedback and Report: After completing a transaction, leave feedback about your experience to help other users make informed decisions. If you encounter a scam or suspicious activity, report it to the platform immediately.

Remember, exercising caution, conducting thorough research, and following best practices can significantly reduce the risk of falling victim to scams in C2C business transactions.