WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Snazzing Up Website for New Year

floraandfaunafloraandfauna subscriber Posts: 3
edited December 2007 in Website Critique
Hello,
I have been spending some time on my website recently, trying to make it more appealing and more professional as I have invested a small amount of money in advertising for the New Year. Before I spend too much time in front of the computer, I would appreciate some feedback.
About my business:
I offer custom letterpress printing and design, and have an online store of pre-made stationery
My largest target audience is "brides to be"
I`m having trouble with the copy, especially on the home page, so suggestions in that area would be really helpful.
Do you think I need to have the custom pricing on the site? Right now I direct people to request an estimate.
the website:
http://www.floraandfaunapress.com
thank you for your time and happy holidays!

Comments

• floraandfaunafloraandfauna subscriber Posts: 3
    Thanks for the feedback, I think you`re right about the pink.
    The website is not loading at all for me right now, so perhaps its a server problem. I will look into it ASAP!floraandfauna12/20/2007 5:19 PM
  • gfacergfacer subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi Christine,

Its an OK site but I would agree about losing the pink (looks more mauve on my moniter?) and I would create a much crisper white background.  Also your sample shots don`t seem to be at a very high resolution - I don`t think `wow` when I see them because they look a little blurry.  I don`t know how to change that without slowing the load time but if the rest of the site loaded fast and that was a flash gallery that loaded as the customer looked at the title page that could work.  Or you could have the hot link for the images to a large high res format shot of the same pic rather than a link to a section on the site.

Also - what is letterpress?  - I`ve never heard the term before and I doubt it is a high search term on google so you may want use that sparingly with other more traditional keywords for your services.

Graham Facer

www.brochureworld.ca

www.plasticworks.ca

gfacer12/21/2007 12:33 PM
  • floraandfaunafloraandfauna subscriber Posts: 3
    Thank you Steve and Graham for your helpful feedback!
    Graham, I would like to improve resolution of the images, (without slowing things down) as that is the most important part of the site.  Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean when you say "hot link for the images to a large high res format shot of the same pic..." would that be something like a pop-up window as opposed to a whole page?
     I think you are both right, I need to describe/explain what letterpress is on the home page and why it is unique. I guess when you do something everyday you assume it`s not so unique.
    Thanks again for your time and input.
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Your background image is over 19K in size and because it repeats a few times to fill the page... that is a fair amount if image file size to download.  This can slow down your site.

The gif animation on your home page is over 100K ! VERY LARGE and will definitely slow the loading of your home page.

Do I (as a viewer) care about "letterpress"? If I should then tell me why I can not live without it.
    OR why I should get my printing projct done by you.

Roland

vwebworld12/21/2007 5:53 PM
  • cdbartworkcdbartwork subscriber Posts: 11
    Christine:

I would move the information on the first two tabs to the end and have the design work as the first tabs, let the customer see your wonderful designs then they can read further if they want. The color that came up for me was lilac, purple and beige. I didn`t care for the lilac and purple.

Your design work is beautiful.

Colleen