WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Where are my mistakes?

TIto MoraisTIto Morais subscriber Posts: 2 Member

Hello,

I am a software developer myself and I started developing an idea about 2 years ago.

Some mistakes I am already aware of, others not yet. For that reason I decided to write a little bit of my story in here.

As I said I am a software developer that have not much experience on the management field also on the startup on. The only guideline I tried to follow was the "Lean startup", but there are some details and specific situations that I believe are not covered by books, but by others experience.

The main error, I have spent more than an year building an MVP. This I know is something wrong, I started an application with many features and I was cutting off to make it as thin as

possible, but even like the simplest page took a long time.

1st Mistake (didn't check developers work closely): I hired a full stack developer to make the service from Upwork and I didn't check the code. The problem is that this person apparently was intelligent and good, but he really

like to over complicated the code in a way that the other developers after him couldn't understand the code. He made about 80% of the website and I didn't know if I throw his work away or start from zero. Was not an easy decision, we had meetings almost everyday after my work and there was a lot of code. After hiring different developers I noticed some of them were bullshitting and didn't want to work and I realize that doesn't matter how the person is good, he can be also a motherfucker and don't care about your project or you. And even the

good ones you need to be checking all the time.

2nd Mistake (The design is awful): I had the documentation and I hired a web designer to make the website, after the developer would add the functionalities. Looks like a perfect plan, huh? If I could come back on time I would hire an UX/Ui and after the designer. I didn't know about the UI/UX design thing before, the company where I work the designs were always made by the full stack developers - and it wasn't for public like mine, but for private, so the design wasn't a big issue.

3rd Mistake (I believe it should be monetized since the beginning): This is a mistake I am still trying to solve, my first version of my project I won't get any money yet, but the second version will have the possibility for people to add paid

courses (it's an e-learning project). That is the thing, to make the MVP most simple as possible I needed to remove the profitable part (I don't know if its a big mistake).

The website that is still on development is called Emaua (I can't post the link in here yet, the forum didn't allow me yet) - the Home and About will be changed to be presentable for end-users and some functionalities are still buggy or missing, but the overall idea is to map Universities with YouTube videos using a University like structure: Courses, Subjects, Syllabus and Lessons with Videos from YouTube. This is almost finishing, hopefully in few months it will be available for public.

I posted here because I didn't know where else I could get those advises, I have never been in a startup event before and in my city it doesn't happen very often. Hope in here I would get

some advise.  

Thanks

Answers

• Options
    JohnnyCowboyJohnnyCowboy subscriber Posts: 2 Member

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your story.

My name is John but most people call me Johnny Cowboy.

I can relate to your story.

I started my very first business 7 years ago in the software space while homeless living out of my car.

Since then, I've started somewhere around 30 businesses and most of them being a failure....it was hell on earth.

After all of those failures I've decided to create a Free PDF for aspiring entrepreneurs to help them avoid the hell that I've had to experience.

You can access my free PDF at www dot brokestrapped dot com/fo

I didn't want to post a link due to spamming purposes.

Cheers and I hope this PDF adds value to your future venture.

• Options
    RichardParkerRichardParker subscriber Posts: 59 Bronze Level Member

Thank you for sharing this story.