WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

What do you like the most about working as a freelancer?

2»

Comments

• Options
    alenwalkeralenwalker subscriber Posts: 7 Member

PROS:

Flexible working hours.

More Earning.

Being your own boss.

Self-Motivation and self-learning

Work anywhere, anytime

CONS:

Freelancing is like starting your own business.

If not self-motivated, self-learner, not enough skills, and no dedication, then freelancing is not for you.

• Options
    michaelvvmorenomichaelvvmoreno subscriber Posts: 2 Member

There are many reasons why I like freelancing, but I would like to mention three main ones 

1. No imposed work schedules.

You work when you want and as long as you want. Some freelancers even manage to arrange their schedule so that they can work no more than four hours a day and still earn a lot. Your boss won't ask you to stay after work or go out on Saturday, and you don't have to get up every day for the start of the office day.

2. you are not tied to the office.

If you want - to work from home, and you want - from a coffee shop or a co-working space. Or anywhere in the world. Travel has never been easier or more accessible than freelancing. You don't have to wait for weekends and coordinate vacation dates with your colleagues - you just take it and go. The main thing is not to forget that if you are a freelancer, you should always have enough time for work, even while traveling.

You are constantly evolving.

To be in demand on the freelance market, you need to get better and more professional every day, because high competition spares no one. That means different courses, training, books and now will be your best friends. And if someone convinces you that constant development is a minus, not a plus, then most likely, freelancing just isn't for them.

• Options
    CloudCFOCloudCFO subscriber Posts: 12 Bronze Level Member

I'm currently working in a corporate setting but I used to be a freelancer. What I liked is being able to control more of my time as well as not having to wake early and go to the office.

Cloud accounting services provider for Startups and SMEs in the Philippines

• Options
    Emma JohnsonEmma Johnson subscriber Posts: 19 Bronze Level Member

I love the freedom to pick and choose my own projects and the adaptability of my work hours. Cons include the competition for available work and the stress of managing multiple clients.

• Options
    AlexErAlexEr subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member

I used to work both as employee and as freelancer. When going freelance, there are some great things about it. You get to have a lot of flexibility in terms of when and where you work, and can choose the types of projects you want to take on. Plus, you can potentially earn more than you would in a traditional job. And working with different clients can give you some really interesting experiences.

However, it can be hard to predict your income or workload. And if you're someone who thrives on the energy of being around other people, working alone might not be for you. Plus, you need to be good at motivating yourself to stay on task and meet deadlines.

So you'll need to be prepared to take care of those pros and cons and decide on yourself.

• Options
    Riley74Riley74 subscriber Posts: 49 Bronze Level Member

Freelancing allows you to have control over what you earn based on the number of projects you take on and what you choose to charge your clients.

• Options
    davidwhitdavidwhit subscriber Posts: 2 Member

Great comment Michael. As you know finding clients is one of the biggest challenges for freelancing. How do you manage it? Or do you have a big enough existing client base that you no longer seek new clients?