WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Whats with all these new Web 2.0 names - Do they work?

LeddoLeddo subscriber Posts: 2
edited April 2007 in Business Planning
Hi, I`m looking at starting up a new web business that will compete in a global market, and predominantly aimed at teenagers and/or sports fans.I`ve been struggling with the naming of the business and I want something that is a modern and trendy name, but I`m wondering if there is any proof that these "Web 2.0" names work better than the old traditional website names.Half of me thinks that I need a name like this so it is "sticky" with the teens, but the other half of me thinks it probably doesn`t matter.Has anyone got experience/comments in this area?ThanksLeddoBrisbane, Australia
Leddo2007-4-4 0:6:3

Comments

• LeddoLeddo subscriber Posts: 2
    All great comments - that`s what I love about S.U.N. 
    I guess where I`m trying to get too is, does having a traditional name (like internetcompany.com) have a negative effect on a teen focus market (ie are they going to think it is created by mum & dad)?
    I know that you can have what seems like a made up name and as long as you can brand it, and push hard on the brand, eventually it will stick.   So in that respect, how many big players actually have a traditional name? 
    My partner is all for the traditional name, while i`m more leaning towards inventing a name.  I`m trying to work out the pros & cons of both.
    Thanks guys - you rock.
    Leddo
  • InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    Zingerding = great brand name.
    The trendy web 2.0 names with missing letters?
    http://www.barfr.com/</A>
    That`s just my opinion!
  • mchutchmchutch subscriber Posts: 7
    I agree with Brand Alchemy. There is a difference between being clever and
    being smart. Building your brand equity so that it resonates with your
    audience with a complete marketing strategy is smart. Just picking a flashy
    name without a plan is not.
  • stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    I agree. Don`t make up a word, just to make up a word. Choose something that means something to you. It will mean more and do more overall!
    Erin
  • tharwattharwat subscriber Posts: 0
    My thoughts:1. Get a name that is pronounceable. Sounds cool.2. Short under 10 characters.2. A name that can be used as a verb (Flickr IT!, Google IT, your name IT)3. One that has no meaning so you can give it meaning and maybe get it added to the dictionary (Google)4. Also if the word has no meaning, it`s easier to trademarkIf you need some ideas, I have the following domains for sale:1. divyo.com2. drbre.com3. gicchi.com4. iceby.com5. jobdar.com6. jodaco.com7. larle.com8. soyala.com9. tambit.com10. tamone.com11. thovo.com12. tigat.com13. farog.com
  • thomorthomor subscriber Posts: 6
    I think one of the reasons all these companies are going for names that don`t mean anything, is because all the good names are already taken/being squatted at. So your only options are either going with something that is .net/.org/.us which is a lot harder for people to recognize, or sticking a ton of dashes in there to make it sound like www.start-up-nation.com which once again doesn`t look that good in my opinion. I`ve actually been looking through different names, for one of the projects I`m working on. And essentially I started it out by taking the thing I`m doing and putting it in different combos by using a thesaurus . All 30 or so that I tried were already taken, with only 2 being real sites. Then I decided to just take the main topic of the website and add 3-5 letter words that made some sense. i.e. startupbuzz.com or startupvibe.com, out of about 280 results that I used, only 16 were available.And out of those 16, there is not one that has a good ring to it, each of them sounds forced when you speak it, so my next step is to come up with a new 5-6 letter word that is marketable and has a certain buzz to it.