WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

For review

businessfilterbusinessfilter subscriber Posts: 1
edited December 2006 in Website Critique
Comments, feedback, complaints appreciated.http://www.businessfilter.comI also created a about page which i haven`t linked to on the site yet: http://www.businessfilter.com/about/ and would like some thoughts on whether the content is appropriate and should be shared on a "professional" service site like this.Thanks!

Comments

• ChuckChuck subscriber Posts: 6
    As with a number of sites that request reviews here, I find myself calling out a credibility gap.  On something as momentous as selling a business, a stripped down database search form doesn`t inspire the confidence I`d need to feel comfortable pursuing a business opportunity through the site.As I dove in deeper, I still run into this - I ran a search, and came up with three results - in one, the "Asking Price" listed was $34,000, but when I opened the search result, the asking price was different.  I`m sure it`s just a db error of some sort, but it still led me to question the viability of the service.In concept, I think it`s great - and I have no problem with your About Us page - I just think you have a high hurdle to overcome with some of these issues.
  • businessfilterbusinessfilter subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks Chuck.I don`t disagree.  Buying or selling a business is indeed a significant event and not as casual as shopping for clothes or electronics online.  But a more accurate comparison would be buying or selling a home.  You would do your due diligence and homework; narrowing down your criteria and requirements.  You would use resources such as SuN and others for research and to educate yourself.  After all this you would possibly contact a real estate agent, or in my case the business listing broker to proceed to the next steps.  I think this is a existing challenge with websites, will we ever be able to replace the in-person experience?  I admit I still like to play with something in a store or try something on first before making a purchase.  Any thoughts on translating/simulating this experience online?Is this the record you were looking at? http://www.businessfilter.com/ad/15/I`m not sure where you saw the inaccurate asking price.  Let me know as that would be a significant problem.Thanks again for you comments, it raises some good questions.
    I`m sorry, I didn`t capture the location - if I can find it again, I`ll be sure to pass it on.I suppose one thing that would help would be to set as high a hurdle as possible for those wishing to list a business - you can`t simply post some general information and have a posting, and thus have access to any user who finds the listing.  That`s my primary issue, it seems to be too simple for me to post information (I may be wrong about that, I didn`t have a chance to register or try to post).  If I`m going to take the step of contacting a lister, I want to be confident they`ve provided me with enough details to adequately assess their legitimacy.  Because once I reach out to them, they`ve got whatever contact information (and other information) I`ve passed along.So as I said, setting a high bar for the level of information, perhaps even having some verifiable info about the health and viability of the business being listed, would really increase my confidence level.
    I think I read two comments here.1. Accuracy and legitimacy of the listings.  This will be a issue, to prevent spam and posting of "schemes".  A approval process is in place where a listing is reviewed before it is accepted and displayed.  We also require certain information on a broker to validate their identity.  A future feature could be a rating system.2. Personal information protection for the buyer.  I try to maintain as little information as possible about a buyer.  Information not available can`t be compromised.  Communication will be through emails, also the lister`s phone number and website is displayed with a listing so they can contact each other directly and control what is shared.I`m sure others will have the same reservations about the service, and hope the solutions/processes I have in place help mitigate some of these concerns.  Let me know if there are other thoughts as this is very helpful.
    Hi CraigL - the site is exactly as you mention, a "business for sale" classified ads service.  This is not a brokerage site.  From the comments I`ve received thus far, it seems like the services provided needs to be better described.  It`s causing confusion, unless i`m misunderstanding everyone`s comments.  Please correct me if this is the case.  Thanks.
  • InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    Minimalist. That`s for sure. I like the minimalism. The content isn`t centered quite right though. It needs to be moved down. Or something.
    The copywriting isn`t clear. I really didn`t have much idea if the site was a job search or ... well ... I read the posts here and then I understood. Copywriting is really important. You need to communicate three things:
    Product, Position, Purpose
    Ideally you`d use a mind-catching hook of some kind.
    There is something to be said for minimalism, but in this case you`ve got a bit more complex service than one that really lends itself to a truly pared down design.  Some measure of explanation seems to be in order.