WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

LinkedIn?

sagemediasagemedia subscriber Posts: 5
edited January 2007 in Public Relations
I recently signed up for a free account with LinkedIn, and have begun asking a few select clients to network with me etc... I`m thinking that since my clients are all business owners, that this may be good source of new referrals for my company.Has anyone had any success with this system? Have you found it useful?Thanks!

Comments

• SnoMonSnoMon subscriber Posts: 4
    I signed up a few months ago, but I haven`t had much success with it.  As I have posted in other forums, I have had better success with this site and with www.squidoo.com.I do hope you have a better experience with LinkedIn...keep us posted.Best of luck!
    SnoMon2006-12-5 21:1:4
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    I`ve found LinkedIn to be fairly successful in bringing potential clients my way in a short period of time.  It`s also been a great way to research possible vendors for my business.- J.
  • PRProPRPro subscriber Posts: 25
    I`ve found it to be helpful to keep in touch with current business contacts who use it frequently. I haven`t really used it to pursue new business so I`m glad to hear it works well in that regard.
    Melanie
  • enlightDanenlightDan subscriber Posts: 0
    I`ve been a member for a few years and haven`t really seen much come out of it. Like PRPro, I find it just helps me keep up to date with what`s going on in my colleagues`, partners`, and customers` lives
  • BigTopBigTop subscriber Posts: 4
    I`ve used it for over a year, but just to keep up with business contacts.  The only caution I would give you is that it is very hard to remove someone once they are linked to you.  If you are using it to "keep up" like I am, then make sure you are very selective on who you link to.
  • SnoMonSnoMon subscriber Posts: 4
    There is an in-depth write up on LinkeIn in the current issue of Business 2.0 magazine.
  • TheBackupManTheBackupMan subscriber Posts: 0
    Like any networking organization, it takes time to build a trust and reputation.I`ve been on Linked In for more than 2 years and it hasn`t really helped drive any new business, but I`ve made a lot of contacts that may help me in the future.A friend of mine regularly gives seminars on how to get the most out of Linked In.  He says to build your network as large as you can as quickly as you can. 
  • AdvisorGarageAdvisorGarage subscriber Posts: 10
    I would agree with many of the comments above...the challenge with linkedin from my perspective is everyone is there for their own reasons...so although you can `connect` with them, they might not want to do whatever it is that you want to do.  You may need to find a networking site that is specific to your needs.
  • sagemediasagemedia subscriber Posts: 5
    It`s been a while so I thought I would give a bit of an update...I`ve signed up for about a dozen different networking sites - just to try them out... and of all of them the only ones I`m still using are LinkedIn and Business4Brunch (the latter being a fledgling site based in the UK).The others were pretty much useless (to me).I`ve got a small list of contacts building up on LinkedIn, and thanks my slowly climbing the ranks in the "Services" section, it has generated some new interest in my company (Sage Media) and resulted in a few new clients.So I expect I will keep my profile active. It`s not a floodgate opener by any means, but it certainly isn`t hurting.
  • JoetheRoadWarriorJoetheRoadWarrior subscriber Posts: 2
    Hi All,
    My comments re: LinkedIn. I registered two years ago and have invited several of my local colleagues to join my contact list. I really use it as a mechanism to help locals get into the global marketplace. I am a member of several international forums and interact in these forums much more than LinkedIn. I find it to not be as "international" as purportedy claimed.
    As an example, I am developing a Cultural Tour to Ghana scheduled for mid-2007. I used LinkedIn Search to find specific contacts to alert them. I have much more success with other forums for this example. Details can be found at www.mbcglobal.org/Service-Tours.html</A>.
    As a note, one of my contacts on LinkedIn, David Biskner is giving a presentation on LinkedIn at Automation Alley HQs in SE Michigan in the next week or two. He is looking forward to "introducing" LinkedIn plus of course, his own company.
    I must also say that I include the SUN community a very effective business/networking forum with opportunities for international contacts.
    Have a great and successful day.