WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Finding the right manufacturer for product.

BBBB subscriber Posts: 3 Member
edited January 2018 in Developing Your Invention
Hi All,

Backstory:
In 2017 I recognized a need for a speciality product to solve a common problem strength athletes face when training. Throughout the year I took the idea from a scribble on a piece of scrap paper to a fully functioning prototype with product logo. This prototype was thrown onto our equipment at the gym and I have let it be used organically by anyone who comes across it. Most of the interactions with the product have been positive and i have steadily been getting more and more inquiries about how they can buy one. I am in a unique position where I could viably make a niche brand out of this initial product. I have been looking for a proper manufacturer and have fallen short on multiple attempts. While my quest to find a manufacturer has not been as successful as I had hoped, each interaction has taught me something new about the process of building a product and the realities of the costs associated with doing so. I have looked at websites such as ThomasNet and signed up for MakersRow

My problem:
I have limited knowledge and no real local mentors to help guide me in the right direction when it comes to finding a suitable manufacturer here in the US (I am open to international options but from what I have gathered is that international manufacturers generally have large minimums) The ones domestically that I have dealt with have had very poor customer services, shoddy craftsmanship, never responded to my calls, or were just out of the price point to be profitable.

What I am looking for:
Help and information. If anyone knows of a resource, list, type of service, or specific manufacturer it would be great to be guided in the right direction so I do not keep spinning my wheels. The internet is a great resource so I am hoping this post can help utilize what it was truly intended for, information.

Materials I am dealing with:
Neoprene
Webbing
Plastic buckles
hook and loop
rubberized coated fabrics

I need a manufacturer who can source these materials, cut and sew them together and screen print the logo onto the product.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Hello, @BB. Welcome to the community! 

It sounds like you have a potentially great product on hand and have been thorough with your due diligence about starting up. 

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend any specific manufacturers, as I have not had any personal dealings in this particular space. However, can you give a little more insight into what the product actually does for athletes? Maybe that way others will be able to help, or I can help you find a resource. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • ChiedoChiedo subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    3DXTremes is solid. I interviewed their founder, Blade Taylor a few months ago. They work nationwide.
    HAVE A KILLER APP IDEA? We help entrepreneurs build their app ideas and websites. LEARN MORE.