WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

B E S T I N T R O D U C T I O N 2 0 1 7

SnaiLegacySnaiLegacy subscriber Posts: 3 Member
hey everybody!

the name's Deron, i'm a 22 (Nov. 12) year old nerd, and i'm starting on my path to becoming an young entrepreneur. I have this idea for a great IT company. i've been reading up on what it takes to start a startup, what it takes to manage a business, and any other free information i could possibly get my hands on (including Udacity courses on how to build a startup). i'm struggling a bit with actually taking my first steps, so i figured i'd find some entrepreneurial minds to poke at!

I currently have experience in PC repair, Mobile Device Repair, Computer Networking, and Programming. but my vision is much bigger. I want to be the complete package of IT knowledge, and i want to start a business that reflects that. Along with the skills I've listed above, I want to build the type of tech i work on, and i want to do it better. i want my company to be a PC/mobile device repairing, network building, security offering, web developing, data engineering, semi-conductor creating, software engineering, video game developing super giant! and yes, that's very very...out there. but i wont start big.

i want to create one piece at a time. have multiple subsidiaries of one main parent company. I even have a name that i've been thinking about for months and now it's just stuck with me.

tl;dr, i'm really passionate about building a business. i've wanted this for as long as i could remember, but i kept pushing it to the side. now i know. i want this bad-- and i hope you guys can help me out!

Comments

• Options
    Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited December 2017
    Hello, @SnaiLegacy

Welcome to the community! First of all, you seem very passionate about the IT/tech space and about starting a business. Second, pushing off a business or an idea is a very common thing. One of the hardest things about starting up is actually having the guts to do it. 

But I think it's important not to do too much too fast. Like you said, start slowly. Choose one piece of the puzzle to start with. Use this one area as your beta test. See what it takes to run a business. See what aspects you're most passionate about. See how accounting/financing/budgeting works. Develop a marketing strategy, etc.

Once you better understand how it all works, you'll have a better chance of success at a higher level. 

Hope this helps!
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Options
    thanks for the insight! i'll absolutely take yout advice. do you have any good, specific resources that i can use to understand accounting/financing/budgeting/market strategies?
  • Options
    Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited December 2017

I would definitely recommend that you check out StatrtupNation's content side:
    https://startupnation.com/

Other tools/sites that would be helpful in terms of marketing and SEO would be Moz, HubSpot Academy and Google Analytics Academy. 

MailChimp and Constant Contact are good email marketing tools for startups and small businesses. 

I don't have much personal experience with accounting, but I know several startups prefer Intuit QuickBooks. Definitely do your research here, though. 

Some of these will have monthly costs to them. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Options
    i'll check out all of those right now, thanks for the help Ryan! i really appreciate it!