We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Citizenship path for a foreign corporate owner

naimisnaimis subscriber Posts: 1 Member
My business partner and I own a joint LLC. She lives in the US under a domestic partnership but is still waiting for her naturalization based on marriage. Unfortunately, the marriage isn't turning out as she'd hoped and it may not persist long enough to get citizenship. Not only does she own 50% of the company, she's our head of marketing and we really need her to remain present here in the States.

Is there an alternate path to citizenship thru the ownership of a US corporation or something else we could arrange to keep her here legally on a more permanent basis?


  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited November 2017

    Have you looked into H1B Visas?

    This allows a foreign worker to work in the United States for a temporary time period. It is available for foreign employmees that are in a specialty occupation (I am not certain all of the occupations that are included). A person may hold H1B status for up to six years, but extensions are possible if the circumstances call for it. 

    Here is some more information on it: 

    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
Sign In or Register to comment.