WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How To Exercise On Thanksgiving For Entrepreneurs

Andre BrownAndre Brown subscriber Posts: 55 Bronze Level Member

Good morning everyone, I hope you are all having a wonderful Tuesday. Thanksgiving is right around the corner and this is a time to enjoy the company of friends and family. There will also be delicious meals for you to enjoy like cranberry sauce, turkey, stuffing, and don't forget pumpkin pie! A few people have been asking me how do you exercise on Thanksgiving? This article will address that with a few tips you can use to get in a good workout on the this fall holiday.

The first is to plan a thanksgiving day event. Gather your friends and family to decide what type of activity you want to do for the day. Ask around to see what kind of interests everyone has. Popular activities to do are football and basketball games. Sports are a good way to work up a sweat as well as add a competitive edge to everyone involved. Going to a football game is another great way for you to bond with your loved ones while watching your favorite team play.

I used to do this with my family every couple of years and this was a fun way to spend a good portion of the day. If you want to be a little adventurous, go for a hike in the woods. Gather up a few buddies and go up that mountain trail you have been talking about for the past few months. Since it is fall the scenery in the mountains is beautiful and you get to enjoy the fall colors while you are hiking. Try to go early in the morning so you can take your time and get back early for dinner.

Running a 5k is another popular activity that many people enjoy around this time. There are a lot of organizations you can sign up for in order to participate. Most are doing the event for a good cause which is wonderful if you support the cause as well. It will also give you a good workout since you will be running for at least a few miles. This will help you burn a lot of calories and trust me you will be ready to eat dinner after this one! Unlike the other activities, this is one that you can't just get up and do.

You have to prepare yourself months before the big day in order to be in condition to run your 5k. This will give something to work towards and you will feel a great sense of accomplishment when you get finished. Don't punish yourself if you end up eating more than you wanted if you are following an exercise or workout routine. Thanksgiving is wonderful holiday and there are plenty of tasty foods that you will want to try. It's fine to eat a little extra food just make sure not to go overboard.

You won't lose your physique just because you ate a few hundred calories more than you anticipated. Just resume with your regular routine the next day as if nothing happened. Schedule a pre/post workout before or after you eat dinner. I do this every year and it allows me to burn extra calories so I can eat more food. Do whatever you feel comfortable with for at least 30 minutes whether that be strength training, walking, or swimming etc.

I just love hitting my apartment gym in the morning so I can get my workout in without feeling guilty about stuffing my face (in moderation of course). Since you will be full after dinner just go for a short 20 minute walk with a couple of family members. This is also a good time to bond with one another and talk about the wonderful day you just had. Walking will also keep your energy levels up and give you a break from being inside the house for hours. I remember this funny story that happened to me last Thanksgiving.

I was celebrating it at my friend's house and there was so much food. I was careful not to eat too much food, but trust me it's hard to resist when you all of that in front of you and your family members are helping themselves to it. I ended up getting the dreaded "food coma", this is what happens when you a lot of food. I know this has happened to a lot of you on at least one occasion. I ended up sleeping for least two hours after dinner, this is what good food does to you.

Once I woke up I decided to take a 30 minute walk with a few friends reminiscing about the wonderful day we had. Remember this phrase on thanksgiving "It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a big leap forward only to go two steps back.". You now have the tips needed to exercise on Thanksgiving and remember to find something that you will enjoy along with your loved ones. I hope you got something out of this article and if there is anyone you know who would benefit from this don't be afraid to pass it along.

Let me know how this article has impacted you and leave a comment below. Feel free to join my community(The Jawann Fitness Exercise & Health Community on Facebook) if you want even more tips and also checkout my page on Facebook Jawann Fitness for motivational posts, articles and videos.

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Good stuff, @Andre Brown

I agree that it is best to exercise in the morning before all of the eating takes place. 

Any exercise tips for the day after or the days following Thanksgiving? Is it best to hit the gym right away after a big Thanksgiving Day feast, or should there be a "recovery" day. 

Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Andre BrownAndre Brown subscriber Posts: 55 Bronze Level Member
    @Ryan O'Bleness Starting from the day after Thanksgiving, just continue with your regular exercise routine. You enjoyed a great day with family and friends while eating a lot of tasty foods. You deserved it so it's fine to eat a little more than usual. Weigh yourself at the end of the week to see if you gained any extra weight. If this is the case, include 2-3 lower calorie days.