WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

I need your advice

yourNAMEinDotComyourNAMEinDotCom subscriber Posts: 17
edited January 2007 in Business Planning
Hello folks,I`ve always known my competition monitors some of the fora I own. In fact, some are quite open and actually use their real names and so on. I have no problem with that. In fact, it is somewhat flattering because it makes me feel like I`m the leader they look up to and mimic. Some of them are really blatant and literally do whatever I do. It`s truly pitiful.Anyway, what`s the problem? One of my competitors tried to use one of my blogs to plug his business and malign one of mine in a very subtle but still obvious way. He even put a link to his website. Now, he`s only done it once. In other words, he doesn`t seem to be like the robot spammers I get trying to post items all the time. Also, his post actually makes him look bad and unprofessional but it is not clear to the average visitor that he`s a competitor. In fact, he is pretending to be a regular user to an extent.So the question is, what would you do if your competitor tried that?Do you respond to his post?Do you delete his post?Do you ban him from the blog?Do you kick him off your opt-in list as well?There are a lot of questions here, I know. Grateful for your advice,AleemP.S.The blog in question has nothing to do with the Internet Domain Name business from my signature. I am deliberately leaving it out because I`d like to use your responses to help me set some policy. I don`t want this to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.AleemyourNAMEinDotCom2007-1-25 13:38:4

Comments

• yourNAMEinDotComyourNAMEinDotCom subscriber Posts: 17
    OK cool. I already deleted it.Now, the question is, do I delete his user account as well?
  • stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    I would contact him and ask him how you can support him. It seems sad that he feels that he has to do this. If these folks are looing up to you, then lean down when you see a man down and try to pick him up. He will either not know what to do and go away or he will accept your help and maybe be a better business man for it. When I see this kind of behavior , i have to wonder why the person is acting in such a pathetic manner. is it desperation, fear, stupidity?? Either way, we all our responsible to act appropriatly and the way I live is by not letting another fall but finding out how I can help them up. Deleting this person is a good way to deal with it but what if you reach out...find out why he feels he has to do this, then try to help him rise above that. This may change his life and wouldn`t that be something?:) When 1 human becomes a Success we all are pulled higher...so reach down and help pull him up!
  • yourNAMEinDotComyourNAMEinDotCom subscriber Posts: 17
    wow, stonesledge, that`s deep.I`d really love to help him but about a week ago we did a headcount of charities we help and it turns out to be 7 of them on a weekly basis and more over the year. The whole issue came up because someone was "too tied up helping  people to make money." This started a whole discussion on charity begins at home.Anyway, thanks for all the replies. Feel free to hit me with some more.Mind not made up yet,Aleem
    Aleem,
    You did what is right for you, and that is what works for you. I do what works for me. Either way will work. You are obviously a success if others feel the need to try and bring you down. You know what works !
    Erin
    It is always beneficial to know your competition. We have a company that helps women start a business. the first thing i do is call upon folks in the same field that can help mentor her in the process. At first folks were a bit hesitant to do so......."why they will become my competition and know all of my trade secrets". It has turned out not to be the case and only helped to increase sales for each of these trades.It is all about being bigger in numbers and networking together to help build eachother up. Yes, not everyone is open to this and are usually left out of the loop and only to watch the participants in the network of tradesmen and women growing bigger and better.
    Don`t be afraid to communicate with competition, you may have answers for eachother that you have been searching for. Through communication, gains knowledge, through knowledge there is growth, through growth there is Success.
    Thanks Camp Steve, I am glad I am not alone in how I operate....it may then be a sad sad world!

Erin
  • katscoolcorner1katscoolcorner1 subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello Aleem,
    A couple of ways to approach the inappropiate competitor blogger.  You could delete the comments and his accounts
    or you could address the blog but in a general way.  a) To discount his comments by saying go ahead and see for your self how easy it is, to counter his imput and prove that your product or business module can stand up,
    b) the world is big enough for all of us, and I`m not worried about your little chunk of business because I`ll attract the clients that want the information from me and you will attract the clients who need the information from you. 
    c.) As you say he shows himself-ignorant and unprofessional, so you don`t have to do any effort.
    d.) You could approach him and offer to cross promote any services that do not directly conflict if he refrains from the snide talk.  Then it`s a win win situation for both of you.
    kat.