WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

I have a business idea, who can I speak to?

queenmarryqueenmarry subscriber Posts: 1 Member
So I have this business idea for a store but I have no background in business or management but I really want to get this idea jumpstarted. Is there someone I can speak to or some steps to take?
To know more idea click here: www.bunabee.com

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    @queenmarry, you can also look to a business mentor or advisor. First look to family or friends to see if anybody has started their own business or not, and if so, ask if you can interview them or shadow them and if they'd be willing to help you out. If not, SCORE or FounderDating are good websites to check out. 

It may not be a bad idea to look for lawyers or legal firms who offer free consultations and specialize in business. Use the time to ask them about al legal areas you need to cover, documents you need to have and insurances you need to purchase to protect you from liability, damage and other risks. That way, you know you have covered all of your bases. 

You can also do things like surveys, focus groups and questionnaires to learn about your target audience. Running a competitive analysis and doing extensive market research are also important factors before you delve too far into business. That way you know the competition in the market, their price points, their strength and weaknesses, etc. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • CurtisMLeeCurtisMLee subscriber Posts: 34 Bronze Level Member
    edited October 2017

1. Your spouse
    2. A lawyer
    3. An accountant
    4.  A trusted adviser or business coach
    5. A banker

• gambitgambit subscriber Posts: 31 Bronze Level Member
    Talk it out with trusted allies.

Once you have an idea that you think has business potential, don't keep it to yourself!

Share it with trusted associates for their help in refining and perfecting your vision. 

And don't forget that even people who aren't involved in your business can provide vital feedback by playing prospective customers.

Getting honest feedback, while sometimes painful, is an essential first step in turning your business dream into a reality.

• Gregory101Gregory101 subscriber Posts: 51 Bronze Level Member

Your consumers. Talk to your ‘potential’ consumers, or your target audience.

Why?

• It will help you understand your idea better. Just because you think it is a good idea doesn’t necessarily make it so.
    • You will find mistakes and areas of improvement. By talking about it over and over again, and answering questions that these people may ask you, you will see things from a new perspective every single time. Would help you identify the chinks in the armour.
    • Evaluate customer interest and willingness to pay.
    • Understand market potential and size
    • You will understand the buyer persona better

All these things will help you at later stages - be it in fundraising, or shaping up your business.