WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

PLEASE HELP

JasmineTheAuthorJasmineTheAuthor subscriber Posts: 2 Member
<p>Hey there! I come to this site a little perplexed. I am a Magazine Editor and Sponsorship Associate at 716 Live. We run an multinational publication, radio station, and numerous podcasts and shows.</p><p>Each month we reach over 50,000 people from all over the world. We have a solid social media presence with stellar reviews from our supporters. There is only one problem: people want our services to be free!</p><p>We are not a charity, though we do believe in supporting those in need by providing our platform at crack head prices (for now). One example is our publication: 716 Live Magazine. Each one page slot comes with global networking opportunities, exposure to thousands, and a chance to win free commercial airtime on our Radio Station. Most other outlets will charge well over $2,000 (we checked rates from our competitors). We only charge $100 and people aren't even willing to pay that! They always try to bargain us down even more or just ignore us altogether.</p><p>What should we do? Is anyone else experiencing a similar problem? Thanks!</p>

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited October 2017
    Finding a suitable paywall for products is a big issue companies face all of the time. One common strategy is to have a "freemium" model where you do provide certain types of content or subscriptions for free, but then you have premium packages with better content, services, exclusives, etc. 

Another strategy may be to send out a survey or hold a focus group with your subscribers/audience, just asking them what they believe a reasonable price would be and what kind of content they're willing to pay for. Of course, you probably won't be able to abide to what they want to be able to make a profit, but showing your audience you're taking their concerns seriously goes a long ways, and people will spread the word. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • contentcouplecontentcouple subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
    edited October 2017
    If your competition's price is 2000$ and yours 100$ - maybe that's the problem. You reach the wrong audience. I know that from my experience: when I was saying in my offer "cheap webdesign! cheap webdesign!", I was selling my servives to people who were lookig for "cheap webdesign". When I stopped saying that and offered high quality and experience and increased my prices, such people stopped buying my services - instead i had customers seeking higher quality and expert advice.

In your situation: try not to show low prices, show results, knowledge, experience instead.

(or maybe I don't know what I'm saying ;) )