Acquiring Rights to Software Code

king kingtravelking kingtravel subscriber Posts: 1 Member
I am currently in the process of acquiring the right to
software code from a software developer. Does anybody know of a standard
contract that I could use for this to make it legally binding? :)

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness Birmingham, Mich. administrator Posts: 1,133 Site Admin
    edited September 2017
    Microsoft has a good write up on what should be included in code contracts: 
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/debug-trace-profile/code-contracts 

You may also want to check websites like RocketLawyer or LegalZoom to see if they can create a standard contract and you can just fill in the blanks. I am not sure if those sites do or not, but worth looking into for sure. 

Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • PZagottiPZagotti Houston, TXsubscriber Posts: 23 Bronze Level Member
    One thing you might want to add to your agreement is a clause that holds the developer responsible for the cost of defending any legal copy right claims. I would also make sure that the contract is for the purchase and ownership of the code and that the developer will not resell or license the code or similar code to any one else for a period of time, (almost like a noncompete).
    Otherwise they will modify their current code and then sell it to your competitor.

I have had clients get burned purchasing IP.
    Phillip Zagotti
    Partner
    Zagotti & Burdette CPA, LLC
    ZnBcpa.com
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness Birmingham, Mich. administrator Posts: 1,133 Site Admin
    Great advice, @PZagotti
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC