WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

In desperate need of some advice for product supplier HELP :D

BrybryBrybry subscriber Posts: 3 Member
Hi there,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I am starting my own business in carved leather handbags. I have vintage ones that I have sourced and also learnt to carve myself. My next step is having my new designs made. I would ideally like to get them handmade and dyed in Morocco or India where it is a common practice for the people to make such items. Morocco seems to be the original carved leather bag makers. Please does anyone have any information and areas, suppliers etc where I could visit and take a design to be made?

This is a small business venture where each one would be carefully and slowly handmade. I am not looking for mass production but handmade and beautiful quality :smile:

Thank you for any help you may be able to give :smile:

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited July 2017
    Good luck with your venture @Brybry. Are you asking for places in India or Morocco exclusively? 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • BrybryBrybry subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you @"Ryan O'Bleness" For either to be honest. Wherever anyone may know of that would be a good place to visit to get the carved leather bags made :smile: I don't have a clue where to go for something like this and have tried researching on the net with no luck! :smile: any advice or help would be amazing! xx
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited July 2017
    OK, I don't have any experience with that myself, but hopefully one of our many community members will be able to help you out! 

One suggestion I have is to check Etsy, and see if there is anybody there that can either make the products you desire or point you toward somebody who can. 

Best of luck! 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • BrybryBrybry subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you @"Ryan O'Bleness" I will check etsy! :smiley: xx
  • KalenamKalenam subscriber Posts: 19 Bronze Level Member

So how your business is going? I am thinking about the same kind of business, selling good-quality handbags online seems to be a thing. And I am pretty glad that I found your thread, maybe you could give me a piece of advice?

• WBL IIIWBL III subscriber Posts: 1 Member

search listings in alibaba and filter for India and Morocco.

MOQ may be high but you can negotiate down to whatever you need. Remember, when spec'ing out a project overseas, (or domestically), you are the client, you tell them exactly what you want and need down to the smallest detail. I have been importing for 19 years and it is one of the major mistakes I see with companies who opt to try it themselves. These producers will try to push you into product that is easier to produce. Don't let them.

Get samples before you go into full production.

Honestly, India, Morocco and other places are the "Wild Wild West". Be very careful in every aspect of the process. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES let them know you are small. You are a "Buyer for a MAJOR Retailer". Your pricing, cooperation and quality will improve while the likelihood of getting screwed may decrease.

• MyMiamiLife.netMyMiamiLife.net subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2020

Hi - Alibaba. I haven’t read all the above posts but I agree with the previous - it’s one of the first places I would look. Also if you know people who are fluent in languages in India or Morocco I would put some ads on Craigslist.

Good luck!