WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How to Make a Killer Crowdfunding Campaign Video [Book Excerpt]

StartupNationStartupNation administrator Posts: 625 Site Admin

imageHow to Make a Killer Crowdfunding Campaign Video [Book Excerpt]

The following is excerpted from The Crowdsourceress: Get Smart, Get Funded and Kickstart Your Next Big Idea, by Alex Daly.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ktummondsktummonds subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Great article! I hope this gives inspiration and helps those trying start their Crowdfunding campaign! For those who would like additional information, you can check out this blog article:
    https://www.thrinacia.com/blog/post/creating-a-successful-crowdfunding-campaign-video
    All of the best with your book!!
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    I like your enthusiasm about the article, @ktummonds

Since it is on topic, here is a clickable link to your blog post: https://www.thrinacia.com/blog/post/creating-a-successful-crowdfunding-campaign-video

I do ask that you be careful about dropping links and self-promoting your company, however. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Gregory101Gregory101 subscriber Posts: 51 Bronze Level Member
    Here are my thoughts too, the idea must be innovative and presented in a simple way. It's important to have a strong community that believes in the project and have an emotional connection to that. A pitch well done with a video to present your idea are also essentials. Try to stay realistic with expectations.  It's much better to set a relatively low goal and overcome it, rather than put a very high one and not be able to get even close to that, also if at the end the amount raised is the same.
    I agree with you, @Gregory101

It's easy to think you can raise $100,000 with a crowdfunding campaign because you believe in your idea. But if the community doesn't believe in your idea, and you're not reaching them and connecting to them, then your campaign will falter. 

Make sure you're being realistic about your expectations, have a strong pitch that resonates with the target audience and expect to work hard because crowdfunding campaigns are very well-involved. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Miguel HammondMiguel Hammond subscriber Posts: 53 Bronze Level Member
    I totally agree with you but Here is my thought too.
    You don’t need any professional skills to make a crowdfunding video, you need to keep it engaging and convey your message to the viewer. So content is important. You can even shoot a decent video with a good smartphone.
    Few things that you need to give importance to is lighting, camera placement/movement (what you are showing in the video should be clearly visible to the viewer) and the sound quality (people needs to understand what you are talking about) .

Important points to remember while making a crowdfunding video.
    What are you crowdfunding?
    Why are you going for crowdfunding?
    Why do people need to back you?
    What are they getting in return? (Applies to reward-based crowdfunding)
    Showcase your previous works or recognitions (Important if you are an artist)
    End note with CTA
    Make sure there is a smooth flow in the video and that you connect all these points.
    Your video should not just be interesting enough to watch but should also encourage the viewer to fund your project. That’s the whole point of making a video!
    Thank you for your thoughts, @Miguel Hammond. Smartphones allow us to take videos anywhere, any time, which is a big reason why live video is taking off. While you don't need to be a trained videographer to make a crowdfunding campaign, you should make sure your video has smooth transitions, tells a compelling story and has a clear call-to-action. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Heather CarrHeather Carr subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    Article is really great)
  • crowdfunder1964crowdfunder1964 subscriber Posts: 1 Member
    Crowdfunding is only good if you already have a community/backers to build on. Connecting with this community and the promotion of your service/product shall be well prepared before the crowdfunding campaign. For more on real-life crowdfunding experiences, read this: payhip.com/b/nFCM