WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Feedback wanted. Start up website, this is.

jman8310jman8310 subscriber Posts: 6 Member
www.jctranscripts.weebly.com is the URL. Please let me know what you think and how good the point is made in my design. It is temporary for now until further notice. Also has a link to my facebook page in the contact section. No business number yet, I need another phone. Shoestring budget here.

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited June 2017
    Hi, @jman8310

Here is a clickable link: http://jctranscripts.weebly.com/

(you can't post links until you ht 10 posts). 

My first thought is that the website is simple and concise. 

I would add a couple of lines to your about page. "As well as doing transcribing for a long while now." Potential clients have no idea what that means. How long exactly? Do you have any relevant degrees, certifications or good examples of why you're the right person for the job? Testimonials from previous clients would also be great. 

I'm also curious how you came up with your rates. They're a little confusing to me. As a customer, I would rather see something easier to digest like (just an example) "0-500 words, $7, 500-999 words, $12, 1,000-2,000 words, $15, etc." Then add in your circumstantial fees. Granted, I have no idea the normal going rates for transcribers. 

I also really like that you have a style guide and detail your process and expectations for clients. 

I would consider making the image of the keyboard and headphones smaller on your homepage, and make sure it has relevant alt text for SEO purposes, such as JC Transcripts or something similar. Looks like the alt text just reads "picture" right know upon inspection. 

@Randi Miller, @BrianSmith, care to take a look? 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • jman8310jman8310 subscriber Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2017
    Thank you, SO MUCH, for the most valuable feedback I've received so far, my good Sir! Your suggestions have already been done. At .5 cents per word, for simplicity's sake, it would require a 2,000 word file to profit $10.00 and a 30,000 word file to profit $150.00. It's those big ones I'm after. If I had access to a calculator app for weebly I would put it on there.
    A sample chart has been provided as well.
    Awesome! I'm glad you found my feedback valuable, and best of luck with your new service. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
    I have shrunk the large image and made the full homepage more user-friendly.
  • Jay WJay W subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    I think you have a great looking site jman8310. I like the human touch you have added showing that you are grinding in long hours with the trash can.

I think if you embedded a video stream it would be amazing. In the top left corner have the person that is speaking, etc and behind that vid is your screen showing transcription in live action. Maybe show a ticker as well that measures, etc. (I'm not too saavy on transcripting, lol). 4
    Jay W thanks for your input! I have not yet decided whether it is ready for an upgrade to weebly pro with a domain and access to video features yet!
    edited June 2017
    Glad to hear it, @jman8310

Please note that Jay W is also looking for feedback on his website, which you can find under this forum topic. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC