WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Feedback for online bookkeeping website

GreenbackGreenback subscriber Posts: 4 Member
Hi! We would love everyone's feedback on our new bookkeeping website. Greenback helps small businesses with their bookkeeping. We automatically sync your receipts and orders directly into Quickbooks. We help you organize your purchases without manual data entry. Gone are the days of uncategorized or unknown purchases. Makes tax time and expensing a breeze! Let us know your thoughts. Thank you for your time! https://www.greenback.com/

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited May 2017
    Hello, @Greenback! Welcome to the community. 

You are in Royal Oak? Very close to me. 

Here is a clickable link to your website. Community, please provide feedback: https://www.greenback.com/
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • GreenbackGreenback subscriber Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks Ryan! Yes! We are in Royal Oak. I noticed you were in Birmingham yesterday. I love seeing startups in the Detroit area. Thanks again for your help!
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited May 2017
    Very cool idea. Strictly from a user's experience, and understanding I am not a coder or designer, I have a few comments. 

1. The image at the top of the computer cuts off, and kind of throws me off. Consider moving that toward the center and showing the full image. 
    2. Your about page is not detailed enough. It is two sentences, and says what you want to do, but doesn't say how your solution does it. 
    3. Consider having the link to your Twitter account open on a separate tab, so that users remain onsite (also start tweeting and building a following there). 
    4. Have you thought about adding a video demo to show potential customers how it works? 

But, I like the design and color schemes. I like that you have a features tab and integratiosn tab as well .Just some suggestions! 

Best, 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • BrianSmithBrianSmith administrator Posts: 15 Site Admin
    Very nice site @Greenback! Love the transitions and motion of the elements as they fly into position. Especially on the Integrations page. Everything looks like it responds well as the page resizes. I think the interfaces of your product are very well displayed, but you might want to add a zoom in option, or a lightbox features that allows users to take a closer look at them when clicking on them. I would also recommend adding some additional photos of people, especially photos of yourselves on the contact page. I think that would add a more personal touch to this site. If possible, adding photos of people using your product could also be very powerful. You've built a very strong brand on your site though, great use of color and whitespace to keep things clean and professional!
    Thank you Ryan and Brian for your great feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to review!
  • Randi MillerRandi Miller administrator Posts: 20 Bronze Level Member
    First off, love the site. It is quite eye appealing. I rip people's websites apart for a living so that should say a lot. A few things that I would like to point out:

• Compress your images. Currently, your Google Pagespeed score is being hit pretty hard because of images. I tossed one of your images through Tinypng (where I always recommend clients to go for image compression). It chopped a 170kb image file from your site down to 40kb without quality loss. Doing this will help you rank higher in Google results.
    • Another image thing. Google is dinging you on some image sizes. Your site is providing full-sized images for desktop, tablet, and mobile. Consider using the new HTML srcset attribute. It's a tad complicated but mobile users will love you for not draining their data plan with desktop sized images. Here is the Mozilla description of it for your reading pleasure.. or to pass on to a dev :smile:
    • Consider using the jQuery CDN instead of hosting it yourself. This is more of a preference than anything else. A lot of developers like to house it themselves in case there is a problem with the CDN, but it's more likely that your site will be down than theirs. There are many more benefits to using the CDN than not, such as parallel downloads and most people will already have it cached on their computer from visiting the millions of other sites that use it.
    • Minify thy JavaScript  - /assets/app/js/common-web.js
    • Set caching for CSS, JS, and images to at least 60 minutes.
    • Minify thy HTML. From Google:  "could save 628B (18% reduction) after compression".
    Kudo points for using HTTPS/2. Very clean.
    Making the web a better place!

Randi Miller
    Geek Guy
    Thank you for your great feedback, Randi. Very valuable and we appreciate your taking the time.