Adversity overcome in starting or running a business?

Steve Nichols, MSSteve Nichols, MS Kansas City, MOPosts: 11subscriber Bronze Level Member
Do you have any stories about adversity you've faced during your company's startup or operations and how you overcame it? Here's mine:

I didn't have a lot of experience in my industry when I decided that I wanted to start a business. In addition, many people I knew in the industry including family members were very unsupportive. I overcame this by digging in and taking the experience that I could get and learning from it until I started to attract real clients for whom I could produce successful results. I also went back to school and got a master's degree which helped my knowledge and credibility as well.

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness Birmingham, Mich. Posts: 751administrator Site Admin
    edited April 3
    Thanks for sharing, @Steve Nichols, MS. There are definitely a lot of trial and error periods in the startup scene, and a lot of great stories of perseverance and persistence. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Moderator
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Brad RiddellBrad Riddell Austin, TXPosts: 5subscriber Member
    Hi, Steve. Thanks for sharing. I wrote a blog post recently (scheduled now but not posted, or else I would share) that talks about just getting started and the resistance that you can sometimes experience from loved ones. "Family members were very unsupportive" is unfortunately a common experience for entrepreneurs.

Have you ever read "The War of Art" by Steven Pressfield? It takes on the concept of Resistance and provides great encouragement and strategies for moving forward. It's a quick read (you could get through it in an hour), and I highly recommend checking it out from the library or picking up on Amazon.

Last thought on adversity: If entrepreneurship were easy, everyone would do it. We should expect and anticipate the adversity. Then, ultimate success is that much more fulfilling because we've persevered through the challenges.
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness Birmingham, Mich. Posts: 751administrator Site Admin
    edited April 14
    Thanks for the suggestion, @Brad Riddell. I would like to check that book out as well. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Moderator
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Steve Nichols, MSSteve Nichols, MS Kansas City, MOPosts: 11subscriber Bronze Level Member
    edited April 25
    Those are some great insights, Brad. You make a great point about how if entrepreneurship was easy then everyone would do it. I'll check out that book you recommend.