WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

What industries should be included within the Sharing Economy?

Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
This is still something I am learning more about, and something relatively new in business. I know ride sharing companies such as Uber or Lyft, and hospitality startups such as Airbnb are included. But what other industries, and what other companies are a part of this so-called "Sharing Economy?" 
Ryan O'Bleness
Community Manager
StartupNation, LLC

Best Answers

• rachelescorachelesco subscriber Posts: 7 Member
    Answer ✓
    Co-working & co-habitation spaces, peer-to-peer lending & crowdfunding, petsitting & babysitting/nanny/daycare are a few industries... 
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited February 2017 Answer ✓
    Awesome, thank you @rachelesco. It is kind of the dog-walkers of the world and those turning side projects into hustles or gigs. It's quite a phenomenon. I wonder if it is here to stay or just a trend. it is surely trending upward, though. 

I think the transportation, distribution, communications and alternative funding (such as crowdfunding like you've mentioned) realms are becoming more and more deeply-rooted into the sharing economy. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC

Answers

I think ride sharing will continue to grow because it is pretty easy to execute since people use their own vehicles and gas mileage. I'm interested to see if the hospitality side, such as Airbnb, continues to grow. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
    @Tom Adams, yeah, I've read that article. It does a great job of identifying the companies that are pioneering the "Sharing Economy" movement. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
    edited May 2017
    @1 Percent Formula, hmm, that is an interesting take. I haven't thought about the moving industry as a Sharing Economy vertical, but it makes total sense. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Bruce OxenfordBruce Oxenford subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2020

The growth of sharing economy is amazing and right now we are facing huge demand on sharing economy products. Starting a car rental business is an amazing opportunity for an entrepreneur to kickstart their venture.

• Lewis-HLewis-H subscriber Posts: 27 Bronze Level Member

The sharing economy provides expanded access to products, services and talent beyond one-to-one or singular ownership, which is sometimes referred to as "disownership". Individuals actively participate as users, providers, lenders or borrowers in varied and evolving peer-to-peer exchange schemes.

• KaylaOKaylaO subscriber Posts: 5 Member

Sharing economy is a fascinating topic actually - so many aspects that can be discussed! And I like how it includes lots of other notions such as the gig economy, P2P economy, access economy and so on!

Anyway, what's even more thrilling is that the concept can be applied far beyond carsharing & coliving - which we're completely used to nowadays. From where I see it the most interesting part of sharing economy is food sharing. A very challenging sphere though. It's perfect as a solution to the food waste problem and starvation - though so many regulation issues (like food quality standards) here to take into account.

• MobindustryMobindustry subscriber Posts: 2 Member

An example of such an industry is space sharing. It comes in many shapes: garage rentals, storage rentals, parking spot rentals. All of this is considered space sharing. What drives this market is people’s mania for decluttering. People are willing to rent storage space, spare rooms, sheds, and attics to keep stuff in. This new tendency opens the opportunity for new space sharing businesses.

Also, power bank sharing startups are on the rise as well