WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Problem with Established Territories

cadetstevecadetsteve subscriber Posts: 3
edited March 2008 in Selecting a Business
I recently decided to take my "hobby" of beer making to the next step. There is a local retailer who also started the business as a hobby and has shown and interest in moving on to other things. These folks are great people persons but have little interest in marketing and growing their business. They love ideas that I have thrown out at them but have little time to follow through. (they are open 1-6p four days a week. And have other responsibilities outside of the business. I approached them about purchasing the business and after a few months they came back with a price that would surely allow them to retire. But well outside of the true value or my percieved value based on gross sales, inventory and stagnent growth. I looked into doing something on my own with a different business model. The problem I run into is 2 part. I wanted to start small catering to a other enthusiest through clubs. Using my basement to maintain an inventory until the business would support a retail location. Problem #1 can`t get anyone to talk to me unless I have a retail location. Problem #2 the only 2 wholesalers in the united states already have agreements with the current business owners to not do business in this geographical location. To the best of my knowledge this is based on a handshake and little more. But so far they weren`t real interested in hurting anothers business to split up the market share. Which  I believe is a nice gesture but creates no competition or opportunity. I am not interested in traveling. Anyone have any suggestions? cadetsteve@yahoo.com