WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How to Achieve the Impossible

Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
This article written by StartupNation contributor, and former Olympic athlete, Inga Stasiulionyte shares tips on the necessary steps to take to achieve what may seem like an impossible task. 

https://startupnation.com/start-your-business/achieve-the-impossible/?utm_source=community&utm_campaign=newtopic&utm_medium=12958

Community, what are your tips on overcoming barriers and achieving goals on what you believe are out-of-reach goals? 
Ryan O'Bleness
Community Manager
StartupNation, LLC

Comments

• Stephen JaymesStephen Jaymes subscriber Posts: 6 Member
    Excellent question Ryan because this is where many people "drop out" and fall just short of their dreams.

What Inga said is true about having that coach or support to push her through the barriers. The challenge is when you don't have a coach or resources to get one, you have to find a way to self coach until you can reach a position in life in which you have those resources.

That being said, taking a systematic approach to overcoming barriers, blocks ,fears or limiting beliefs (much like a coach would) is a powerful solution I frequently use.

The first thing is acknowledging there is a barrier or block. For example you may believe you are "too old" to do "this thing".

The second thing then is to reframe the barrier by finding a more empowering belief around it. But it has to be done sincerely. So for example if you thought you were "too old" to do something you could reframe it like this "many other people much older than I have been where I'm at and over come this".

Thirdly, I will brainstorm enjoyable and fun solutions and/or actions I can take to lift this block.

Fourth, I would pick (using gut instinct) the best solution around the block and set a "sub-goal" around that.

Finally, I would take immediate action around this to avoid losing momentum.

It sounds like a lot of work but once you've done this a couple times it's second nature and almost happens immediately. I actually have an "unblocking tool" I use for this all the time.

Nice topic Ryan!
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Great take, @Stephen Jaymes. I appreciate your thoughts. Identifying road blocks and finding alternative ways round them can also mean the difference between success and failure. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC