WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

President-Elect Trump: What Does It Mean for Small Business?

2»

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Because of posts like this I surf the forums and when I found you, the time I felt I was wasting, just turned my thoughts around and now I am thinking I invested my time in something really interesting.

I truly appreciate that, and I am ecstatic you find our forum useful and insightful. We work extremely hard to give our audience the best content and forum threads possible in relation to small business and entrepreneurship. Thank you for your kind words!
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • johnjjhjohnjjh subscriber Posts: 1
    I work in small business sales. I haven't put a ton of thought into what it would mean to me, but I've had dozens of people who own businesses bring this subject up. I try to avoid the subject. I'd rather just not risk alienating any customers. That being said, it seems that a lot of people who have pored their lives into their businesses seem to be genuinely excited about less government intrusion in their lives. I echo the concern about our debt, but the hope is contagious.
    johnjjh wrote:
    I work in small business sales. I haven't put a ton of thought into what it would mean to me, but I've had dozens of people who own businesses bring this subject up. I try to avoid the subject. I'd rather just not risk alienating any customers. That being said, it seems that a lot of people who have pored their lives into their businesses seem to be genuinely excited about less government intrusion in their lives. I echo the concern about our debt, but the hope is contagious.

I definitely agree that it is for the best to not discuss politics with customers and alienate them based on their beliefs. Heated debates will ensue and you could lose customers or even friends. I also agree that less government intrusion and more tax breaks will likely benefit American business owners -- however, only if Trump gets his plan to pass through congress, and only if it is executed perfectly. As I've said several times, the economic impact of such a drastic deal could cause another recession. Though, as one of the most successful businessmen in America, I think I have confidence in his plan to help businesses, and on an international level with trade deals as well. We will find out very soon.
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • BenwBenw subscriber Posts: 12
    johnjjh wrote:

I definitely agree that it is for the best to not discuss politics with customers and alienate them based on their beliefs. Heated debates will ensue and you could lose customers or even friends. I also agree that less government intrusion and more tax breaks will likely benefit American business owners -- however, only if Trump gets his plan to pass through congress, and only if it is executed perfectly. As I've said several times, the economic impact of such a drastic deal could cause another recession. Though, as one of the most successful businessmen in America, I think I have confidence in his plan to help businesses, and on an international level with trade deals as well. We will find out very soon.
    How are you judging him one of the most successful businessmen in America?
    Looking for an online platform to help entrepreneurs & business owners connect?
    Take this survey - Tell me what features you want.
    Benw wrote:
    johnjjh wrote:

Again, I don't want to get too into any of personal opinions. There are things I both like and dislike about Trump. I do suppose that was a bold statement on my part. What I will say is that I think he has had the entrepreneurial mind needed in order to succeed, for the most part. The Trump Organization was estimated to be valued at $3.5 billion in 2015, and Trump himself has been valued at anywhere from $3 billion to $10 billion in 2016. Forbes and Fortune have him around $4 billion, while Bloomberg has his net worth closer to $3 billion, and his (albeit biased) campaign team announced that his net worth is $10 billion in July. He consistently ranks in the top 160 on Forbes, as well. Of course, he has plenty of debt as well, and has likely made questionable business decisions. In terms of wealth he has been highly successful, and well before his run to the White House he was one of the most well-known business magnates in the country. I am well aware that other people have had more success than him in terms of wealth and, let's face it, public opinion. But it is clear to me that he is one of, if the most, polarizing businessmen in our country.
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
    Benw wrote:

Again, I don't want to get too into any of personal opinions. There are things I both like and dislike about Trump. I do suppose that was a bold statement on my part. What I will say is that I think he has had the entrepreneurial mind needed in order to succeed, for the most part. The Trump Organization was estimated to be valued at $3.5 billion in 2015, and Trump himself has been valued at anywhere from $3 billion to $10 billion in 2016. Forbes and Fortune have him around $4 billion, while Bloomberg has his net worth closer to $3 billion, and his (albeit biased) campaign team announced that his net worth is $10 billion in July. He consistently ranks in the top 160 on Forbes, as well. Of course, he has plenty of debt as well, and has likely made questionable business decisions. In terms of wealth he has been highly successful, and well before his run to the White House he was one of the most well-known business magnates in the country. I am well aware that other people have had more success than him in terms of wealth and, let's face it, public opinion. But it is clear to me that he is one of, if the most, polarizing businessmen in our country.
    If my family gave me millions of dollars that if passively invested would make me a billionaire I am not sure that speaks to his business skills :). Steve jobs is amazing, Bill Gates is amazing, and the Koch bothers are amazing (because they have built something, and/or ran it for 1000x+ increases). I've never seen Trump as anyone impressive in the business realm beyond his media savvy and brand management.

Non partisan break down & fact check of what that money would be worth his family gave him:
    http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/st ... umps-fath/
    *If he invested the $200 million in 1982 passively in the S&P 500 it would be worth somewhere between 3.9 to 9 billion now.

He has been a CEO for a long time and not run his companies into the ground which is positive. You also have some comments coming out from his daughter though about his debt levels, and given his lack of transparency we don't know anything beyond the marketing image he has built for himself.

Where I am from culturally in the USA his style/brand is repulsive. He worships money & young models, I never saw him as someone to look up too even when I was a kid.

Do you think he is someone to emulate? Personally or in Business?

Thanks, Ben
    Benw wrote:
    Benw wrote:

If my family gave me millions of dollars that if passively invested would make me a billionaire I am not sure that speaks to his business skills :). Steve jobs is amazing, Bill Gates is amazing, and the Koch bothers are amazing (because they have built something, and/or ran it for 1000x+ increases). I've never seen Trump as anyone impressive in the business realm beyond his media savvy and brand management.

Non partisan break down & fact check of what that money would be worth his family gave him:
    *If he invested the $200 million in 1982 passively in the S&P 500 it would be worth somewhere between 3.9 to 9 billion now.

He has been a CEO for a long time and not run his companies into the ground which is positive. You also have some comments coming out from his daughter though about his debt levels, and given his lack of transparency we don't know anything beyond the marketing image he has built for himself.

Where I am from culturally in the USA his style/brand is repulsive. He worships money & young models, I never saw him as someone to look up too even when I was a kid.

Thanks, Ben

Ben, you are certainly entitled to your opinions and beliefs, but we are definitely getting way off track from the intention of this thread. On behalf of StartupNation, I would like to keep things clean here. I am not taking sides. I think there are things entrepreneurs can learn from Trump. There are also lessons on what not to do using Trump as an example. His character is questionable, yes. He was given money from his father, and did inherit the company, yes. However, as you mentioned, he has been an executive for a long time and he has been able to keep his companies highly profitable.

Again, as hard as it is to do, let's try to keep personal opinions and political beliefs out of this forum.
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
    Benw wrote:

Thanks, Ben

Ben, you are certainly entitled to your opinions and beliefs, but we are definitely getting way off track from the intention of this thread. On behalf of StartupNation, I would like to keep things clean here. I am not taking sides. I think there are things entrepreneurs can learn from Trump. There are also lessons on what not to do using Trump as an example. His character is questionable, yes. He was given money from his father, and did inherit the company, yes. However, as you mentioned, he has been an executive for a long time and he has been able to keep his companies highly profitable.

Again, as hard as it is to do, let's try to keep personal opinions and political beliefs out of this forum.
    Agreed, but I don't think a discussion about the type of leader he portrays is one that is purely personal or political, but rather a valuable discussion on what type of leader you want to be for your team. Or even the type of leaders you want to groom inside your organization. I would be interested to see who in the entrepreneur & CEO world think he is worthy of emulation and why.

Thanks, Ben
    Benw wrote:
    Benw wrote:

Thanks, Ben

Agreed, but I don't think a discussion about the type of leader he portrays is one that is purely personal or political, but rather a valuable discussion on what type of leader you want to be for your team. Or even the type of leaders you want to groom inside your organization. I would be interested to see who in the entrepreneur & CEO world think he is worthy of emulation and why.

Thanks, Ben

That is a fair question, Ben and I think I would allow that. To Ben's point, without political beliefs influencing your decision, does anyone think Donald Trump will be a strong leader of this country, or will he falter? Is he somebody to emulate, or not? This is based on his leadership qualities alone.
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • techstartupstechstartups subscriber Posts: 1
    Personally I don't think there will be much impact on small business either way... :?:
  • cjuucjuu subscriber Posts: 3
    Today, we were informed that Donald Trump has chosen Linda McMahon, WWE co-founder and former CEO, to serve as the administrator of the Small Business Administration. Of course, she will have to be approved by the Senate first. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/07/politics/linda-mcmahon-picked-to-be-small-business-administrator/
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
    Here's a great article from one of our contributor's Michael Melfi, detailing Trump's tax plan. 

https://startupnation.com/manage-your-business/trump-tax-plan-entrepreneurs/
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • saravanansaravanan subscriber Posts: 389 Silver Level Member
    Small business always enjoy customer satisfaction as well as complete acceptance in business sector. It is somehow related to start-ups.