WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

How to equally split share in a self-funded startup.

DomG37DomG37 subscriber Posts: 2
edited October 2016 in Startup Funding
I was approached by a guy I know and his potential partner to start a new company specialized in online sales. Joining their venture would mean that I would have to quit my day job to focus entirely on the startup. We would not be paying ourselves any salary.

Investor A (the guy I know) has been running a company by himself for about 5 years with a turnover close to $400,000. He knows how much money I am looking to invest if I join the venture.

Investor B is a newly retired member of the army with more than $100,000 in savings. He would be focusing 100% on the new company.

Investor C (me) works an engineer with about $35,000 in savings and great web programming skills.

Investor A and B are good friends. Their initial proposal was to each put in $40,000 and told me we would need $100,000 in total, so I'd have to put the other $20,000. With those investment, they offered me 20% shares, and they would each take 40%. My initial thought was that it was too low equity, so they counter offered with 20% shares for $15k. I know that they want me, since I have a lot of skills that they do not master and would have to hire a web programmer if I don't join the venture. I also know for a fact that I would at least be putting the same amount of work than these two, if not more since Investor A would be running his other business on the side.

Assuming we would all “fictionally” be receiving $50k in salary, then after a year, the $40k becomes $90k and the $20k becomes $70k. Therefore, over time, I think the initial investment is diluted by the amount of time put in before we start making a profit. What would you recommend as a counteroffer?

Comments

• Options
    McCandlessMcCandless subscriber Posts: 52 Bronze Level Member
    Usually, from a grunt or sweat equity perspective money invested has a value of x4 versus x2 when you're talking about time.

You can check out Slicing Pie

From your description you say investor A & B put in $40K. How was that split? Did investor A put more, less or an equal amount compared to investor B? If $20K from investor C was put in and A and B investors had an equal amount wouldn't each member just get 33.33%?