WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Need advice launching a soft drink

Brian77Brian77 subscriber Posts: 3
edited May 2007 in Business Planning
Hi all, I am so glad I stumbled upon this site, it has helped me so much with my plans and sorting out all the big ideas I have in my head.
I have an idea for a new drink, actualy its a drink I make for myself at home, made with iced tea and some other ingredients, that I want to bring to mass market.  I have researched the market and looked all over and have not found anything already existing, even including Snapple and the other big names, like what I want to produce, and I really feel there is a niche for it.  I have found a preexisting startup company who is a producer of some specialty food products sold in the region where I want to market my product initially and  I  have read and studied extensively about business, but I do not have a busines degree or formal experience with starting my own business.  My question is, would it be wise to try and partner with this existing producer to develop and bring my product to market for me, or should I try and make a go of it on my own.  I feel like for my first time doing this, it might me wise to try and partner with an established player in the industry, to help me along and to utilize any resources this company may have.  I have only gone so far as to perfect my recipe and write my business plan so far, but have not approached any outside sources for legal, business advice, etc.  I guess you could say I am still learning to crawl.  I definitely feel that this product has potential, I am just lost as to what is my next step.  Thanks for all the help in advance!

Comments

• stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
    SUN member Aron makes a ginger cocktail mix called ELIXIR G. No doubt he can give some valuable advice.

You have to determine if this other startup has experience that would
    be of value to you. If you`re going to partner with someone make sure
    they have years or even decades of experience in the business.
    Otherwise they`ll be learning right along with you and not really
    guiding you.

Have you looked for independent bottlers who could bottle this for you?
    They would know a great deal about the business and could be worth more
    than a partner without demanding equity.
  • stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
    The problem with protecting a recipe is that even a minor change
    results in a different recipe. That`s why the formula for Coke is a
    closely guarded trade secret  and not patented or copywrited. 
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    use and register a trademark
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    I think I owe Craig Landes some money.
    You might also be able to get protection on the shape of the bottle - design patent and/or trade dress.
  • infiniqueinfinique subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I think the first thing you need to do is to get a proof of concept. Try getting a tasting & sampling party. Next move on to the streets to do some survey on the taste and whether people are willing to spend money to buy it.