WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

What are Small Business Retail Strategies for Success (Part 3): Marketing & Promotions?

FOLEYMARKETINGADVISORS1967FOLEYMARKETINGADVISORS1967 subscriber Posts: 8 Member
edited September 2016 in Marketing
There are many factors that contribute to the success of a retail store. In this blog installment I’ll be discussing specific marketing strategies and tactics that could be employed to help build awareness, increase foot traffic and/or repeat business. For the purpose of staying focused, we’re going to assume that the retail store already has a “presence” in it’s geographical area.

It should be obvious that a promotion should only be conducted if it will attract customers and business. The type of strategy you select, your pricing during the promotion and those to whom you market each promotion will determine your success in attracting new customers and building incremental sales. You’ll need to do some analysis to determine what the return on your investment will be for any given promotion being considered. You must put some estimates against each tactic. For example, you must place a monetary value on a new customer, determine how much additional revenue a new customer generates in a year and how much additional revenue will be generated by the promotion itself. Some other important considerations include the need to:

- Price out the exact cost of the promotion, from basic costs to planning and execution.
- Based on when you’re planning to run your promotion, determine the prior few years sales during that time period to form a basis of determining whether or not your promotion is successful.
- Determine what your goal is for the promotion. For instance, is it to: Introduce new customers? Increase gross sales or profits? Enhance the store’s image?

Below are some broad marketing strategies to consider and a brief overview of what each is:

1. Frequent buyer programs – a card gets punched each time the customer spends $10 or more and after 10 punches, they get a reward.
2. Bonus bucks – for every dollar they spend today they get X dollars for a future purchase.
3. Special events -hire a character in a costume for customers to take pictures with, have musicians, fashion show, product demonstrations with “free” takeaways.
4. Contests – can be anything from a drawing to take a picture of a product you bought from our store “in use” and post it on your Company’s Facebook page.
5. Coupons – can run ads in local papers and online social media.
6. BOGO’s – buy one get one…free? half off? etc…
7. Cross promote with other local retailers – feature products from other stores in your windows, as well as inside in a special display area. While the other retailers’ merchandise should not be sold at your store, it should be used to enhance and/or accessorize your products. Provide an “introduction card” entitling the customer to a special discount on their first purchase at each other stores. In addition, after the card has been used at all participating stores, it can then be entered into a drawing for prizes.
8. Community involvement – work closely with charitable and nonprofit organizations; sponsor events or awards (especially with schools), become an active member and participant in the activities of one or more organizations.

Once you’ve decided upon a marketing strategy it is imperative to create a launch plan which will outline the details of the promotion(s) as well as the channels you’ll use to promote it (i.e. “get the word out”). This step is just as important as creating the promotion itself because afterall, if no one knows about your promotion, it won’t yield significant results. It can be overwhelming to create and implement a promotion and I highly advise you do your homework thoroughly and/or seek the assistance of a marketing consultant.

Next week I’ll be talking about the importance of customer service and different tactics you should be employing to stand out and keep your customers coming back.

Danielle Foley, President – Foley Marketing Advisors

Email: <!-- e -->dfoley@foleymarketingadvisors.com<!-- e -->
Small Business Marketing Blog: http://www.foleymarketingadvisors.wordpress.com

Comments

• Ankita1234Ankita1234 subscriber Posts: 49 Bronze Level Member
    Can we have the digital marketing strategy on board? Social media marketing also provide good marketing for the your business. All the deals and discounts can be shown to interested people so that the direct marketing should be possible. No middle interference should be happens.
  • PhillipsPhillips subscriber Posts: 68 Bronze Level Member
    Hi there, I just read your article and the tricks that you have put down are good. However, the world today is being driven by digital marketing. Somehow I feel you should have listed down that as well in your rundown of marketing tips and tricks. You should have mentioned about email marketing and social media platforms for promotion of products. These two are one of the most important marketing platforms in today's world of business. Research shows that email marketing has even taken over social media marketing. Therefore, I can assume you can understand the importance of email marketing.
    I can say this confidently as I have seen my organisation growing by implementing email marketing and considering to be one of the most important marketing channels. We made use of a hybrid email marketing tool called EasySendy Pro to build our brand name. This tool has been specially designed to send bulk emails to the subscriber. It made our emails land right into the subscriber's inbox, thereby promoting our email open rate and click through rate. This has made easier for us to keep our subscribers and prospects updated about the new launches of products and services in our organization. Plus, this marketing channel is the most pocket friendly channel compared to other traditional marketing channels. If you have your own website, you will be able to easily attract more subscribers to your website in no time.
    Therefore, I feel email marketing should have topped your list of marketing strategy.