WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Have a lot of ideas but can't find the perfect one

Tiago MiguelTiago Miguel subscriber Posts: 2
edited August 2016 in Selecting a Business
Hi
I'm new to this forum so just to give you a quick introduction my name is Tiago I live in Portugal and since I was around 13 years old or less I always had that desire and ambition to build my own company. Currently I am 18 years old so 5 years have passed and in that time I started a lot of projects (5 to be precise) and they all whent well and things where in a good path but after a while I just stoped.... Because even though I liked it I didn't loved it.

And that is why I am here, from what I have read and seen a lot of successful entrepreneurs say that you need to have passion about what you do otherwise you will just lose interest and stop after a while and I have been for 5 years searching for the one true thing that I am really passionate about but I can't seem to find It and I am not asking you to come up with a great idea out of nowhere I'm just telling this because It might not be just me facing this kind of problem and if someone know any way of fighting this I would be very thankful.

Just to end this post, the only thing I know I really love is cars I really really really like cars so If you have any idea of something car-related tell me please

Thank you for giving your time to read this

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Hello, Tiago. Welcome to our community!

It seems like you have strong ambition. I agree that you have to be passionate about whatever business you decide to launch. As you have already found out, when you're lacking the drive and passion to give a business your all, it is going to crumble. That is likely a big factor why so many startups have failed.

You said you're interested in cars, so perhaps you're looking for something in the automative industry, but you don't know what specifically. The good news with that is the automotive realm is very broad and could have a lot of opportunities. There are several tiers of suppliers and original equipment manufacturers, value-added resellers, distributors, design and engineering, sales, communications, publications, mechanic work and several other things you can do with it. You said you live in Portugal, but if you're truly thinking about starting an automotive business, there is no better market to launch it in than Detroit. However, automotive services and products are a need pretty much everywhere, so not a necessity.

How hard it is to actually break into any of these fields is another story. There is competition everywhere you look, many of which are multi-billion dollar companies. Obviously you wouldn't be in direct competition with those giant brands any time soon, but the point is competition is heavy. So what would you need to set your company apart? You would have to think of a brilliant branding strategy for starters.

Just some more general ideas for you to consider: a taxi service similar to Uber, a car wash, upholstery, car advertising services (basically a moving billboard), driving school, car shows/car auctions, tire shop, etc.

All of that stuff has been done before, though. If you could come up with something that solves a problem for car owners everywhere that nobody else has accomplished yet, then you are really going to be living large. Maybe some kind of connective app.

I'm really just spitballing here. Let me know if any of these ideas resonate with you.
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Tuah BaoTuah Bao subscriber Posts: 176 Silver Level Member
    Hi Tiago Miguel,

You are young and energetic, which is good. Do you know where idea comes from? Idea is usually comes from experience. Some people get business idea after years of experience in a particular field.

For example: you get a new job as a junior barista. You slowly learn and master the skill of making coffee drink. It may take a few years' time for you to discover a new way of making coffee, create a new flavour/formula and sell them with you own brand. Then, you make huge money.

Therefore, I believe giving you ideas such as becoming a broker, insurance agent, selling car ads ...etc may not right. You need to explore and try all the available options yourself to come out with the finest idea.
    Tuah Bao
    100+ done for you courses to immediately start running your own profitable e-learning business
    https://www.courseserious.com/