WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

How do I base pay for work done by students?

chickieshrimpchickieshrimp subscriber Posts: 3
I`ve found a very talented artist to do some basic artwork for my business - simple advertising brochure, poster, etc.    He just happened to be the best artist who replied to my ad, I wasn`t necessarily looking for the `cheapest` option.  But he has no actual work expereince or background,  his entire portfolio consists of school assignments and random sketches he`s done for his own amusement.  I want to offer him fair payment for his work and talent, but I`m torn between paying him as an un-experienced student verses paying him for work on a professional project.  Advice??

Comments

• Options
    RondaRonda subscriber Posts: 0
    Sometimes students are willing to work as interns in order to get experience and build their resume. If their school has an appropriate program, they can also receive school credit as an intern. However, if the student is only interested in a paid position, I would look at paying him as an entry level graphic artist.
  • Options
    MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2
    Agreed with Ronda. He may have done an amazing job, but any entry level staff member who did an equally amazing job would still get entry level pay.
    However, I am a big proponent in paying a little over the going rate for any position, including entry level positions, just to ensure staff members are demotivated by feeling as if they are underpaid.
  • Options
    nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Just because he is a student, does not mean he is not looking for a real job.  Pay him at least prevailing wage.
  • Options
    MattTurpinMattTurpin subscriber Posts: 22
    Pay him for the value of his contribution. It doesn`t matter if a "professional" does your project, so long as you`re happy with the results. I would be willing to wager that you`ll get more heart and soul poured into this project by having an up and coming student do it than you would from any pro. That has to be worth something. You`re not just a project number with this artist. If he does an amazing job on your project, don`t let his lack of credentials stop you from paying him what you would for anyone else.
  • Options
    chickieshrimpchickieshrimp subscriber Posts: 3

Very good replies and advice, thanks to all.  

Of course anyone would find it unethical to offer two $5 for one $20, good analogy.  But would you pay $60 to a `professional landscaper` (a guy in a pickup truck with a riding mower) to  mow your lawn; or $20 to the kid down the street for the same job?
  • Options
    stoaviostoavio subscriber Posts: 3
    I started accepting freelance web and graphic design jobs when I was 13 and continued to do so for at least another 7 years. One thing I quickly learned was what my time and talent was worth versus what people were willing to pay. When I was younger, that disparity was much bigger but the older you get the more that gap starts to close. Just because he`s young doesn`t justify a wage that`s less than what you would pay a 35 year old who produces similar results. Don`t discriminate based on his age, if you`re confident in his abilities and you like his work pay him what you think is fair. 
  • Options
    stoaviostoavio subscriber Posts: 3
    It seems I echoed the sentiments of previous posters, my apologies! I just read the first post and replied.