WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Online Hobby Business

icollecticollect subscriber Posts: 12
edited April 2008 in Selecting a Business
I have an idea. Not sure about it and would like feedback. I have been trying to find an opportunity I like and that does ok.
I am looking at starting an online hobby business selling Trains and RC. Is this a good idea?
Where could I find the wholesalers anyone want to pitch in advice? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    icollecticollect subscriber Posts: 12
    I found a wholesale source "Legitimate"  and I can beat most the prices and all the prices for dedicated train only sellers. I would be making good profits as well. I can get the items for half the cost.
    I once was into trains for around 5 months and got out of it. Im really thinking about doing this. I then went into diecast. I love toys and hobbies and looking for something in that arena and believe I may have found it.
  • Options
    babyjoy214babyjoy214 subscriber Posts: 2
    If you`re confident you can do it then give it a go!! But be sure you see things first even the smallest details, starting a business isn`t that easy at all, it`s not all golden skies, there will be rainy days.. GoodlucK!!
  • Options
    SCVS800SCVS800 subscriber Posts: 1
    The problem with hobbies is the competition from overseas.  I have a buddy in the business selling RC aircraft and he has been dealing with this kind of competition.  The thing you need to know about a hobby is that most of us do it in our very limited spare time and tend to spend the least amount possible to practice it.  In order to be successful in this industry, you will have to have unique products and over the top customer service. Unless you have a HUGE marketing budget, this is the only way to compete in these markets, and even then, it will be slow as most of the business may come from word of mouth adverts.
    I started a company some years ago selling software I wrote for flight simulation.  I quickly discovered that my target customers didn`t want to spend the money for the software even though we fairly estimated the perceived value.  We eventually ended up just giving away the software for free and have had thousands of downloads from 21 countries.  However, now that a reputation has been established for the software, we estimate that the addition of payware may prove profitable.
    Here is the good news on running a hobby business.  The passion and product knowledge is already there.  You have to enjoy what you are doing to be successful at it.  The hard part is imparting that passion to your customers.
    Regards,