WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Why not everyone build startup?

StartupminionStartupminion subscriber Posts: 1
edited November 2015 in Selecting a Business
Hello everyone,

I am confused. People are complaining about low salary, fed up from work, they hate their boss, and just about everything. Yet they don't want to launch their startup since it seems to be the only way to solve all their rants.

Kindly share anyones thought? I my self believes in startup

Comments

• OlsonOlson subscriber Posts: 0
    People are accustomed to stability. Not everyone is ready to quit his job and start a business.
  • BrookLarsonBrookLarson subscriber Posts: 0
    Well, I totally agree that this is best way to take your life under own control, moreover,I think most people dream about such an opportunity. Unfortunately, not everyone has a clue how to implement it in life and most people lack a talent. Just not everyone is born to become an entrepreneur.
    More about startups to learned at
    http://www.researchpaperwritings.org/cu ... papers.php
  • RancyDRancyD subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Some people don't have that much financial capability that they can start on their own.

Most of the people don't start their start-up due to only 2 reasons no. 1 is financial problem and other is risk of losing.

The 2nd category people always thinks of starting their start-up but just being afraid of the factors that there is a risk in the start-up that it will work good or not or there is already a big company working on the same idea how will I compete with that giant company etc.

There is another category of people also who don't want to leave their offices or jobs because they are already addicted to it. They are addicted to every surrounding and are afraid that they will loose these things. This is kind of phobia that is generally found in the most of workers of any company, especially females.
  • StartupminionStartupminion subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi RancyD. Very well said. I just recently built a company out of that question i got for the last 2 weeks.

Here it is: 700dollarstartups.com

Pretty much what you just said.
    Positive negative feedback much appreciated
  • Fox91Fox91 subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    <blockquote><strong><a href="/community/profile/RancyD">RancyD</a> said:</strong><br />Some people don't have that much financial capability that they can start on their own.

Most of the people don't start their start-up due to only 2 reasons no. 1 is financial problem and other is risk of losing.

The 2nd category people always thinks of starting their start-up but just being afraid of the factors that there is a risk in the start-up that it will work good or not or there is already a big company working on the same idea how will I compete with that giant company etc.

There is another category of people also who don't want to leave their offices or jobs because they are already addicted to it. They are addicted to every surrounding and are afraid that they will loose these things. This is kind of phobia that is generally found in the most of workers of any company, especially females.</blockquote><br />
    You kinda touched on something that applies to me.

It's the fear of risk that's keeping me from acting on it. A friend of mine once classified it as "F-U-D" or Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.

I'm still trying to find a way to tackle that 800-pound gorilla.
    HI @Startupminion, have seen your website. It's really a great thing that you're doing. I also like the website's format and other things about it. Keep doing that great job.
    Hey there Fox91, it is a very comon problem. The word "F-U-D" is perfect for it every 2nd or 3rd person amongst us have the same issue. Actually it's not anybody's fault but it's more kind of human nature you can say. Good luck, hope you'll be able to tackle it soon.
  • McCandlessMcCandless subscriber Posts: 52 Bronze Level Member

No. For (at least) two reasons.

The majority of people do not have what it takes to found a company. The combination of skills and personality traits that are required is very rare. Paul Graham writes about this at Essays. He says that at Y Combinator they look for applicants that are "relentlessly resourceful". That alone is a quality that not many people have.

The world has lots of tasks that are not for startups: nurses, police, pilots, roadbuilders, customs officers, heads of state, ... Who would carry out all these necessary functions if everybody was building startups? (Not to mention that most startups provide products and services that are completely superfluous from society's perspective.)

• CurtisMLeeCurtisMLee subscriber Posts: 34 Bronze Level Member
    edited October 2017

Nope. 

A startup is an emotional rollercoaster that will turn your emotions inside you. You need a compulsion to make it happen. As Sam Altman says, “the only people that should start a startup are the ones that can’t not start a startup”.

Like other people have mentioned in their answers, everything is against you. You will most likely fail. You will have to many times do everyone’s work for them, fight against BSers and people trying to get value out of you, deal with firing, lawsuits, customers leaving you, and a hundred things more.

I would say the best things you can do to prepare, if you’re interested, are to face unpredictable situations, learn to rely on your own without others (travel alone for long periods of time, do martial arts, and more), learn to sell stuff and market it, learn to take hits, including personal insults, rejection and more and still stay standing at the end of the day… and then you’ll be ready to barely begin.

Discard the image of the glamour lifestyle that the media promotes. This is hard work, people will ruthlessly adore you or abandon you for no reason, and you will piss off many people when you just try to do your job. It’s not for the weak of heart.

This being said, good luck!

• kaiba134kaiba134 subscriber Posts: 1 Member
    launch a business is too hard compared to meeting the requirement of the boss :D
  • PZagottiPZagotti subscriber Posts: 23 Bronze Level Member
    A few reasons why people don’t start a business.
    1. They would rather have stability.
    2. They don’t have an idea of what kind of business they would start and are interested enough to investigate further.
    3. Running a business is hard.
    4. And most importantly, because starting a business is a big risk.
    Let’s be honest 50% of all startup are gone within the first 12 to 18 months. Many time the business owners are financially worst of then if they had just stayed in the bad job.

So, a lot of people should not start new businesses, (not my opinion but the markets opinion).

For most a better course of action is get a better education or build a more profitable / desirable skill set and find a better job.
    Phillip Zagotti
    Partner
    Zagotti & Burdette CPA, LLC
    ZnBcpa.com
  • Gregory101Gregory101 subscriber Posts: 51 Bronze Level Member
    Entrepreneurism is not for the feint of heart. If you make progress every day, and don't get hung up, you have a better chance of success. When you are an entrepreneur, you are under the influence of the four Ps - pressure, passion, pleasure and pain - and that causes bad "perspectives" that stunt our progress. 
  • Helen LarsenHelen Larsen subscriber Posts: 58 Bronze Level Member
    Lots of people have good ideas. But not everyone wants to live the startup dream - spending a year of their lives living on the breadline, going cap in hand to investors and living off promises of money someday in the future.
    It's a question of laziness, courage, commitment and dedication. 
    But sometimes people like a steady job and maybe it's a better choice for them. Not everybody wants and should be a leader or startupper.  
  • ShaneMurrayShaneMurray subscriber Posts: 25 Member
    Honestly, quite often people are just lazy. They don't want to think a lot, to do something and to try to achieve some results. It's more convenient for them to come to some ready-made business model. And sometimes people complain that they don't have enough money to realize the idea. But again, everything leads to the fact that people just Don't Want to do something. I say this, based on the conversations of my friends and colleagues.
  • ItsSherryTeeItsSherryTee subscriber Posts: 20 Bronze Level Member
    People are born winners and programmed to fail. Schools teach that mistakes are signs of failure instead of learning experiences. If young people were taught more about success and their ability to achieve it was closer than they thought, there'd be a different result.

Kids of color are being purposefully indoctrinated to believe that they're victims because of the color of their skin - a form of brainwashing. Therefore, too many go through life partnered up with low expectations.

As adults, they accept that not having enough is normal and either stop trying or run so fast on the hamster wheel with their many jobs that they both miss the best days of their kids lives and are too fearful to try something very different especially if they so-called tried before and their actions vowed not to try again.